Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private profile

Highlighted
Susana O Member Since: Sep 15, 2018
941 of 1,144

Hi everybody Smiley Happy

My profile has been recently set to private due to the lack of jobs I have been facing... I send a lot of applications but for those starting sometimes it is not easy and setting my profile to private does not help Smiley Sad Is there any way I can get it back to public?

Thanks in advance,

Susana

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
942 of 1,144

Hi Susana,

I just set your profile visibility back to public. Let us know if we may be of further assistance.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Logan K Member Since: Mar 28, 2011
943 of 1,144

Ya know Upwork, since you are so profusely **Edited for Community Guidelines** about locking a freelancers profile for not earning; maybe you should spend a little time working on your own product!
1) Are their actaully any jobs out there that someone can apply for, that only require 1 connect?
The answer is no.
2) Why would you hide the profile of a long term member for not earning? 
Don't you think it might hamper the ability for that person to earn?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
4) Don't you find it a little counter-productive and counter-intuative to block my ability to be publically seen since I have an 88% rating and over 800 hours logged?..not to mention the flat rate jobs!
5) You force me to spend even more of my time, to write and ask if you will please unlock my profile!
How rediculous is that? You really don't know what it's like to be a freelancer do you?
Instead of bidding on jobs I am writing this! Or asking you to unlock my profile.

It's time that could be spent doing something else!!!! I already spend 80% of my life online looking for work!!! I have been a freelancer for 27 years! I have been with Upwork for over 7 years!

I think you should make exceptions for long term freelancers like me.
Do your jobs and figure it out!
Some of us pay you a lot of money and you wouldn't be eating that Donut without us!

Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
944 of 1,144

Hi Logan,

Your profile has been set to public. Please note that freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here. 

~ Jo-An

Untitled
Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
945 of 1,144

Hi Logan

I'm here for more than 8 years and agree with you that Upwork is becoming really unfair and poor. About "locking the profile"... maybe they want you (all of us) upgrade our membership and pay u$10/month. 

Plus $10/month

"Your profile will never be set to hidden due to inactivity"  Smiley Frustrated

Ace Contributor
946 of 1,144
Yeah the only way that your profile wouldn't be locked is if you paid that $10 extra every month since they lock you out after 30 days. Their only point is to try and squeeze you out of an extra 10 bucks every month on top of the 20% they already take if you get hired.
They don't get the big picture that" they decrease the chance of a freelancer getting hired if the freelancer's profile cannot be found".

I bet you none of them have any skills to really even be freelancers on the network. So they don't understand what it's like to apply for 30 jobs and not get hired for any of them.

They don't understand that they aren't vetting the potential clients well enough.

A potential client can post 100's of jobs with no verified payment method, phish around all day long, never interview anyone and never hire anyone. I see it happen all the time.

Approx. 90% or more of my "connects" go to applying for jobs that never get filled.

If they really wanted to level the playing field they would require new clients to verify a payment method before they could post a job. It would insure that the client is really interested to hire someone instead of phishing for information.

But Upwork would rather just squeeze us for every little penny.

It's obvious and has even been said that they don't think they freelancer plays a significant role in the success of their company. But I wonder where they would be without us?

Ana M Member Since: Jul 14, 2018
947 of 1,144

Hello,

My profile has been changed to Private, please I need it to be changed back to Public.

Thanks,

Ana

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
948 of 1,144

Hi Ana,

Your profile visibility has been updated. Please check this help article to learn more on how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private: Help Article. Thanks!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Ace Contributor
949 of 1,144

Yeah but Upwork is still not getting the big picture here. 
1) It's an inconvenienience to the Customers that are your lifeline, AKA -The Freelancer
2) If you want us to earn more for you, then it's very counterintuative to hide our profiles
3) It's very obvious that your only intention is to squeeze a few more bucks out of us and try to make us buy your "Pro plan"
4) I have earned over $10k through Upwork> So haven't I earned enough over the lifetime of my membership in order to not be inconvienienced by your pettyness? 
5) Are there any jobs out there that only require 1 Connect? Please show me even 1 example!
You treat us freelancers like we are stupid children. I'd love to have your ear at a board meeting for 5 minutes. You really need to know what it's like to be a freelancer. And maybe then I wouldn't get the same old cut and paste response to this message that I already know is coming.
Somehow though, I figure you'd still find some way to cut and paste a response, even in person.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
950 of 1,144

@Logan K wrote:

Yeah but Upwork is still not getting the big picture here. 
1) It's an inconvenienience to the Customers that are your lifeline, AKA -The Freelancer
2) If you want us to earn more for you, then it's very counterintuative to hide our profiles
3) It's very obvious that your only intention is to squeeze a few more bucks out of us and try to make us buy your "Pro plan"
4) I have earned over $10k through Upwork> So haven't I earned enough over the lifetime of my membership in order to not be inconvenienced by your pettyness? 
5) Are there any jobs out there that only require 1 Connect? Please show me even 1 example!

Maybe you want to try and look at what you call "the whole picture" from a more realistic perspective...

1) The "lifeline" is money. Money comes from clients. Freelancers are, when you look at it without emotional fuzziness, the products and a dime a dozen.Inconveniencing or losing clients results in loss of income. Inconveniencing or losing freelancers (as long as there are still way more than are needed) does not have any effect on the bottom line.

2) Ah, no, not really. If freelancers don't earn money that can have one of several reasons. The freelancer may be engaged in stuff away from Upwork in which case it doesn't really matter either way (whether they earn money or whether they have a visible profile.) The freelancer may be applying lots but not getting hired. In that case the platform may wonder if the freelancer is a good fit for the platform. Or the freelancer may be taking clients off the platform...

I think it would be very naive to assume that there is no review into the reasons for the "nothing earned in 30 days" situation when a freelancer asks to have their profile set back to public...

3) Then they would not offer to get it set to public for free.

4) In 7 years. And? Hardly "lifeline"-stuff (as you say above) If you hadn't done those jobs, some other freelancer would. How does does $ 10k (or 15k in your case) over the course of 7 years matter in the overall scheme of things? Do you think it entitles you to special treatment? What would freelancers who earn that in 6 month, 3 months, 1 month be "entitled to?" (I guess you could say they won't get set to private which would be a fair point, to a degree, but then such freelancers are a) clearly what clients want to hire, b) are creating profit for the platform and c) are working through the platform and not sneaking clients off it.)

5) No, there are none. That said, there are no jobs that cost 5 connects either. Or 3. That has what to do with profiles being set to private after not earning for over 30 days?

OK, maybe I don't quite understand what the big deal is because it never happened to me. It doesn't affect your chances to be hired when you apply. Clients you apply to still see your profile as usual. You're "just" not found in searches.

If you constantly get set to private then clearly your profile being public isn't consistently creating income anyway, so what great difference does it make?

It takes a couple of minutes to ask for it to be set to public again. Is that really such a big deal? Ranting and raging about it in the forum whenever it happens certainly takes considerably more time and energy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS