Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: locked profile

rizky-sulistyo
Rizky S Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
2351 of 2,522

Dear Upwork,

My account is locked to private by Upwork. Can anyone please resolve this for me and make my profile public? I am going to start working on it or need an invitation to apply. Kind regards

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2352 of 2,522

Hi Rizky,

Your profile visibility is back to public as well, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
stefvib
Stephane V Member Since: Aug 11, 2020
2353 of 2,522

So after purchasing connects and not spending some of them yesterday I received a very well gift-wrapped email from upwork customer service while I was sleeping to let me know that my profile was locked to private until I resume "earning".

I am very upset, that means:

1. one must spend connects every day, hence making sure to spend them as fast as possible and purchase more

2. one has no right to decide when and how they will spend their conencts. Yesterday I browsed my feedand did not find any relevant post for me to pitch.

3. Last week I did not spend any connect for 4 days in a row (because I did not have time to do it as I was busy) but my profile was never set to "locked"

In conclusion this is just a cash machine and we, as freelancers, are the cashcows without any right to decide when and how to spend our money.

I trust someone will read this and reply to me lightning fast because I am extremely angry, disappointed and ready to fight such injustice.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
2354 of 2,522

Hi Stephane. Don't worry. Having your profile set to private doesn't stop you from submitting proposals, and the clients who receive your proposals will still be able to see your profile.  It just means that your profile won't appear in search results,  so you won't receive any invitations to submit proposals. But if you're new to Upwork you're unlikely to receive useful invitations anyway. Moreover, Upwork will reset your profile to public on request.  (If you can't reach customer support,  you can ask a moderator here in the forum,.) 

Profiles are automatically set to private if you haven't earned anything in the last month. (Edit. This info was out of date.)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2355 of 2,522

Stephane V wrote:

1. one must spend connects every day, hence making sure to spend them as fast as possible and purchase more

It's not whether you spend connects, it's whether you earn some money. 

Stephane V wrote:

2. one has no right to decide when and how they will spend their conencts. Yesterday I browsed my feedand did not find any relevant post for me to pitch.

3. Last week I did not spend any connect for 4 days in a row (because I did not have time to do it as I was busy) but my profile was never set to "locked"

No, it doesn't mean anything of the sort. If you have previously earned money on the platform, your profile is set to private after 2 years since you last earned something. If you are a new freelancer, who has never earned anything, it's after 90 days. That's 3 months.

Stephane V wrote:

I trust someone will read this and reply to me lightning fast because I am extremely angry, disappointed and ready to fight such injustice.

You are "extremely angry, disappointed and ready to fight the grave injustice" of having to click on something to request your profile to be set to public again after writing an outraged forum post?

It really is no big deal and no hardship. When your profile is set to private, you can have it set to public again with minimum effort. Clients you apply to see your profile, and the ONLY effect it has is that you don't appear in searches. Appearing in searches hasn't done you much good so far, so you're no worse off, and it's quite unlikely that you missed out on anything during the hours between being set to private and being set back to public. Here is an article that explains it, along with a button that let's you get it set back to public.

Richard W wrote:

Profiles are automatically set to private if you haven't earned anything in the last month. 

Nope. 90 days for newbies, 2 years for established freelancers with previous earnings.

stefvib
Stephane V Member Since: Aug 11, 2020
2356 of 2,522

Stay out of this and I'm being polite.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2357 of 2,522

Just go to this article and click on the green button. It's ONE mouseclick. That's all it takes. One single click of the mouse.

reset.png

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
2358 of 2,522

Hi Stephane,

Your profile visibility has been reset back to public. When your profile is set to private, your profile is not visible in search results, but the clients can still view your profile when you submit a proposal for their job post. For more information, please check out this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
ramcecancio
Ramce C Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
2359 of 2,522

Hi, my profile was also in private locked. I dont know why, my client cant view/see my profile.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2360 of 2,522

Hi Ramce,

Your profile visibility has been updated. Please check this help article to learn more about how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private.

~ Bojan
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS