Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked private Profile

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
1201 of 1,585

Hi Muhammad,

Your profile visibility has been updated. Please check this help article to learn more about how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Firoozeh S Member Since: Apr 2, 2020
1202 of 1,585

Hi, Upwork has changed my profile to private!! I am new to Upwork and it takes time until I can get clients, I need support to let m try my chances. Why my profile should get private?! Would you please help me through this?

I appreciate your kind support

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1203 of 1,585

Hi Firoozeh,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, profiles of freelancers with a history of earnings on the platform will remain public unless they have not earned in more than 2 years. Profiles of new freelancers who haven’t earned on Upwork will be set to private after 90 days.To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Brian C Member Since: Nov 12, 2019
1204 of 1,585

I have been on Upwork for several months now, and it continues to do this annoying thing: it automatically sets my status to private. Clearly, its algorithm is based on actual jobs, not attempts - because while I have not been able to land that elusive first job, I create a proposal almost every day. It really is annoying because, as we know, Upwork offers no live support - and so you must go through the process of clicking through a myriad of hyperlinks to make a request to support, and they tell you it will be 3-5 days before they can get to you. Frustrating to say the least.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
1205 of 1,585

Has it ever taken as long as three days for it to switch back? IME it usually takes a few hours.

Maybe knowing the reason for the policy will make it less frustrating. The platform has umptillions of inactive and abandoned FL profiles. To save clients from getting bogged down in those when searching for FLs, UW tries to keep them hidden. The most efficient way to do that is a blanket policy. Whenever a profile goes 30 days without a payment, it automatically switches to private. If the FL is indeed active, they say, "Hold your horses, switch me back!" and it happens. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1206 of 1,585

Brian C wrote:

I have been on Upwork for several months now, and it continues to do this annoying thing: it automatically sets my status to private. Clearly, its algorithm is based on actual jobs, not attempts - because while I have not been able to land that elusive first job, I create a proposal almost every day. It really is annoying because, as we know, Upwork offers no live support - and so you must go through the process of clicking through a myriad of hyperlinks to make a request to support, and they tell you it will be 3-5 days before they can get to you. Frustrating to say the least.

What Phyllis said - but to clarify ... it is not based on actual jobs, it is based on whether or not you've been paid in 30 days. You can be working a job and still get this notice if you haven't been paid for that job. It's another one of Upwork's *poorly-written notices, ("we notice you haven't been working lately") that for some reason they refuse to revise. *because, you know, they can't find any good writers.

You can still bid on jobs, so it doesn't hinder you. Frankly, I just ignore it because it's not a big deal.

Highlighted
Thaddeus A Member Since: May 6, 2020
1207 of 1,585

Hi,

Where do I find this and how does this impact my profile?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
1208 of 1,585

Hi Brian,

Your profile visibility has been updated. Please check this help article to learn more about how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Brian C Member Since: Nov 12, 2019
1209 of 1,585

From the responses I've gathered, the bottom line is Money - if you're not earning, it shuts you down to private. I've submitted numerous proposals, just cannot land the first gig.

Thanks for the help, but please no more links to stuff I need to read. Upwork has more documentation on rules & regulations than NASA.

Highlighted
Kalayu F Member Since: Jun 17, 2020
1210 of 1,585

How do I know whether my account accepted/approved or it on processes? it doesn't show any notification on my account.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS