Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Term Absence

metoinside
Metin A Member Since: Jun 21, 2017
1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I am in very tough situation. Although, I live Upwork very much, I need to leave for the obligatory military service.
It is not determined the duration yet, but I will be away from the platform for 6 or 12 months. This will start on Novemer 2017.

I know that I can change the Availability(for those who don't know: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063008-Setting-Availability) but I much more wonder how it effected your Job Success Score and overall portfolio? Is there any other option that Upwork keeps your profile as good as today when you return back?

If you face any situation that you need to quit freelancing in long term such as maternal leave, military service or unexpected medical treatment what you experienced and what are the advices that you can give me?

Thanks!

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 4

@Metin A wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am in very tough situation. Although, I live Upwork very much, I need to leave for the obligatory military service.
It is not determined the duration yet, but I will be away from the platform for 6 or 12 months. This will start on Novemer 2017.

I know that I can change the Availability(for those who don't know: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063008-Setting-Availability) but I much more wonder how it effected your Job Success Score and overall portfolio? Is there any other option that Upwork keeps your profile as good as today when you return back?

If you face any situation that you need to quit freelancing in long term such as maternal leave, military service or unexpected medical treatment what you experienced and what are the advices that you can give me?

Thanks!

Are you asking what the consequences are if you will close your business?  In my country, if the third quarter sales is less than the second quarter sales, the business is considered as closed.

metoinside
Metin A Member Since: Jun 21, 2017
3 of 4

I don't mean closing the business. Basically, I'm asking what will happen to your JSS, Top-talent badge etc. while you are unavailable to work through Upwork with the side-effects?

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
4 of 4

@Metin A wrote:

I don't mean closing the business. Basically, I'm asking what will happen to your JSS, Top-talent badge etc. while you are unavailable to work through Upwork with the side-effects?

Much depends on how your past contracts are spread out over the JSS calcualtion window. I am fairly sure that not working does not affect your JSS by itself, but it will begin to drop as soon as contracts start falling out of the JSS calculation window. 

For instance, when I arrived here from Elance, I did so with a 100% JSS, but I did not work here for at least eight months after arriving. During this time my JSS remained at 100% until shortly after I started working here. For a while my JSS decreased steadily as Elance jobs fell out of the JSS calculation, but winning new jobs here and completing them successfully soon raised my JSS back up to 100%, where it has been for most of the time since then.

The point of all of the above is that nobody can tell you for sure what will happen, or if anything does happen, when it will begin to happen. So, depending on how your contracts are spread out and how long you will be away, your JSS might drop, or it might not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS