cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Term Client % and Job Success

Highlighted
Mark G Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
1 of 37

Where to begin with this extremely confusing and worrisome issue that almost every Freelancer has dealt with over the last few years here on Upwork.

I started out here in February, and since then have completed a pretty large amount of jobs. I mostly like to work on flat-rate one time jobs, as opposed to working on contracts over a long term. I'm here, like most of you, to be a freelancer, not an employee to a company, because if I wanted that - I would have stayed at my full time corporate job. Since then, I have compiled a 4.96 Feedback score to go with 100% Client Recommendation Score, and 0 Disputes. My reward? A 79% Job Success score. Which can almost exclusively be contributed to my Long Term Client score being a 0%., even with several clients that have hired/rehired me for flat rate jobs since February.

What are our options? Well we can contact Chat Support and  try to figure out what is going on but as many of you know, that is a dead end. We can take their "suggestions" and encouragement to "just keep at it" but what does that do? For someone like myself that is committed to going above and beyond to satisfy clients, it does nothing but infuriate me that no matter how many 5 Star ratings you rack up - it wont matter. More frustrating is the copy/paste of replies, to which no matter how many rebuttals you have, the Support can't give you any real answers.

Upwork Responses we've all heard

"Regarding the drop, what is included in the calculation is all the contracts within the 24 months period. As the months move, some contracts are falling off from the 24 months window and therefore..."

Well I've only been here since February.

"This is Private/Public Feedback"

My Client Recommendation Score is 100%

"Just keep at it and you will see the score rise"

Well I have near perfect feedback, with a ton of repeat customers. I doubt people are hiring me, then completely badmouthing me in Private feedback, only to rehire me again and repeat the badmouthing. And if they are doing that, shouldn't we be able to know that?

"It also takes into account disputes, holds, or Unpaid Jobs"

Did you even look at my account? I have no disputes, unpaid jobs or holds to ever appear.

Solutions?

Well I would like to at least hear from Upwork that it is an issue they are working to improve and tweak as time goes along, but in multiple contacts with Support, I have yet to get any indication that is the case. Us Freelancers are what make this a great place to get work, and for Clients to find great workers. It just feels like we are the 2nd class citizens here and our protections are thrown out the window in favor of keeping the other side happy. I get it, that's how business works, but these obscure ratings are an insult. All we have on this site is our Feedback and Portfolio to rely on for work, two very public things that we proudly hold up, only to have some algorithm tha has no clear standards - torpedo our livelihood.

They say there are no bugs and that the system is working just fine. I say that is not the case. Just from taking a look at my profile, it's obvious that one bug is not taking into account repeat customers for Freelancers on per project jobs, and relying only on how long Contracts stay open as a calculator of Long Term Clients.

This is a great website and I am very appreciative of the work and people I have met on here, but if we don't all raise some hell about things every now and then, we'll find that things never change for the better over time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 37

Hi Mark,

I was just about to start a thread with the title "when does a client count as a long-term client".

You beat me to it. Anyway, I have been hired by the same client three times since March 9, and yet my long-term clients stats read 0%.

Well, that is my question. Because Valeria stated in another thread:

"Long-term clients are the clients you work with for at least three months. This could be over one or multiple contracts and could be hourly or fixed-price work."

The third contract has been closed and is showing in my earnings etc. but still no long-term clients.

Now, back to your post:

No, the fact that you don't have long-term clients does not affect your JS score negatively. Having them is a plus. Not having them does not harm you in any way.

So, there are other reasons for your JS score being lower than you like. You mentioned your "client recommendation score" being 100%.

Mine is, too. Has been from the beginning - I also started using Upwork in February.

BUT: I know for certain that I received one negative private feedback 2 months ago from a client I never ever worked for. But I was hired, client turned out to be "difficult", I ended the contract because I didn't know better then. He marked the contract as not completed successfully and stated that he would not recommend me in any way. 

This statistic updates only after every 5 completed contracts. So mine shall go down any time soon. So far - it hasn't changed. Even though my JS score dropped from 100% to 89% a couple of weeks ago. Because of negative private feedback. It has yet to hit my stats.

In a nutshell: unfortunately you got it wrong. There are so many factors and metrics that are the JS score - and we don't know all of them. It is definitely NOT your lack of long-term clients.

Ela

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 37

Ela I would be fine with that explanation, if I had not just spoken with a CS Rep yesterday that brought up my longest contract only being 3 months long during our conversation about the JS score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 37

@Mark G wrote:

Ela I would be fine with that explanation, if I had not just spoken with a CS Rep yesterday that brought up my longest contract only being 3 months long during our conversation about the JS score.

Well, what can I say. It's CS. 

That doesn't change my answer. What I have told you is what I have learned from moderators in the forum - those are the people I trust around here. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 37

You may want to read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/NOT-AVAILABLE-for-new-work/td-p/86431/page/2

Valeria posted about long-term clients and how not having any does not affect your JS score.

Highlighted
6 of 37

So if it doe IMPROVE the score, my issue of having flat rate clients that are repeat customers not counting towards the score is still an issue to be discussed.

Highlighted
7 of 37

Well that just speaks to the larger issue here of the lack of clarity regarding the issue.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
8 of 37

@Mark,

you have several jobs with no feedback given, so this will count negatively into your job success percentage to some degree. Also there is always the possibility that a client's private recommendation feedback was below 9, which also counts negatively.

----------------

@Ela,

I don't know what exactly Upwork's definition of "long-term client" is, but I personally wouldn't consider someone who has hired me three times over the last 3 months as a long-term client either, neither here nor for my business in general. To me, a long-term client is someone who has asked for my services again and again for several years, sometimes not showing up for let's say 6+ months, but you know that eventually they will definitely show up with a new project.

Highlighted
9 of 37

Hey Sandra,

I haven't heard about the clients not leaving feedback impacting me negatively. That's really a bummer. I've started to insist on the clients closing the contracts first, so they have to leave feedback, but wish I had known that was going to hurt me in the past. Is there a penalty of any kind on their end to encourage them to leave feedback? I have several clients that don't leave feedback until they need me again, and I force them to go back and review my work from last time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 37

@Sandra T wrote:

@Ela,

I don't know what exactly Upwork's definition of "long-term client" is, but I personally wouldn't consider someone who has hired me three times over the last 3 months as a long-term client either, neither here nor for my business in general. To me, a long-term client is someone who has asked for my services again and again for several years, sometimes not showing up for let's say 6+ months, but you know that eventually they will definitely show up with a new project.

I quoted what Valeria posted in another thread. I don't see any reason not to believe what she wrote. I consider this to be the Upwork definition of a long-term client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS