Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Long Term relationships and JSS!

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 35

@Tiffany S wrote:

Jennifer, there is one situation that seems to occur fairly often (it's happened to me two or three times in the roughly year and a half I've been on Upwork, and I've seen several others mention it): a freelancer works long-term with a client who is very satisfied with his/her work, and then that person abruptly leaves his position, leaving the closing of the contract and the rating to someone the freelancer never actually worked with, or has worked with for only a few weeks versus a long-term relationship with the predecessor.


 That does seem to be different from what the OP has said in their hypothetical situation, though.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
12 of 35

If your client consistently paid you during the 2-year period, your JSS would benefit from the "long-term client" status, regardless of the final rating given by the client.

That's the data that appears as follows on your stats page:

Image 2017-12-03 at 7.51.38 PM.png

 

 

I had a situation where a previous client hired me for a new task. In doing so, she became a "long-term client." When closing the contract, she did not leave me a five-star review. However, because the contract bumped up my long-term client percentage my JSS was not harmed. 

 

A client that worked with you long-term will continue to be a positive for your JSS long after the contract is completed- depending on which calculation window is used for determining your JSS. IMO, this significantly minimizes the impact of a negative closure review. 

View solution in original post

m_acc_des
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
13 of 35

@Tonya P wrote:

If your client consistently paid you during the 2-year period, your JSS would benefit from the "long-term client" status, regardless of the final rating given by the client.

That's the data that appears as follows on your stats page:

Image 2017-12-03 at 7.51.38 PM.png

 

 

I had a situation where a previous client hired me for a new task. In doing so, she became a "long-term client." When closing the contract, she did not leave me a five-star review. However, because the contract bumped up my long-term client percentage my JSS was not harmed. 

 

A client that worked with you long-term will continue to be a positive for your JSS long after the contract is completed- depending on which calculation window is used for determining your JSS. IMO, this significantly minimizes the impact of a negative closure review. 


 This is the reply I was looking for! 

 

Thanks a lot Tonya, but this reply is opposite to what Petra said, she told me that the longer the contract the worse the negative feedback affects my JSS!.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

Thanks a lot Tonya, but this reply is opposite to what Petra said, she told me that the longer the contract the worse the negative feedback affects my JSS!.


 Frankly, when you still have very few contracts then one really bad outcome will have a very significant effect on your JSS whichever way you spin it. If one out of two completed contracts ended in a bad client experience, then no matter how you look at it, the percentage of contracts that ended in a great client experience (which is the definition of the JSS) is at best 50%

 

Again: Is your long term contract about to end that badly?

 

Tonya's situation is different, she's had plenty of contracts, and one contract will not have a catastrophic effect on her JSS whatever happens, because that is how percentages work. Also, a contract which went fine but the client did not leave full 5 stars doesn't necessarily havee a ngative effect if the private feedback was great. This is not the same as your (imaginary or real) situation of a long term contract going seriously wrong and ending in catastrophically bad feedback, both public and private, or even just private.

 

You can read this article, paying particular attention to:

 

"Also, please note the longer you work a contract, the greater the impact it will have on your JSS. That means positive feedback on a longer-term contract can raise your score more than a short-term engagement, and negative feedback on a longer-term contract could lower your score more."

m_acc_des
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
15 of 35

@Petra R wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

Thanks a lot Tonya, but this reply is opposite to what Petra said, she told me that the longer the contract the worse the negative feedback affects my JSS!.


 Frankly, when you still have very few contracts then one really bad outcome will have a very significant effect on your JSS whichever way you spin it. If one out of two completed contracts ended in a bad client experience, then no matter how you look at it, the percentage of contracts that ended in a great client experience (which is the definition of the JSS) is at best 50%

 

Again: Is your long term contract about to end that badly?

 

Tonya's situation is different, she's had plenty of contracts, and one contract will not have a catastrophic effect on her JSS whatever happens, because that is how percentages work. Also, a contract which went fine but the client did not leave full 5 stars doesn't necessarily havee a ngative effect if the private feedback was great. This is not the same as your (imaginary or real) situation of a long term contract going seriously wrong and ending in catastrophically bad feedback, both public and private, or even just private.

 

You can read this article, paying particular attention to:

 

"Also, please note the longer you work a contract, the greater the impact it will have on your JSS. That means positive feedback on a longer-term contract can raise your score more than a short-term engagement, and negative feedback on a longer-term contract could lower your score more."


 Many thanks for your efforts to explain.

m_acc_des
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
16 of 35

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:


 


 It makes perfect sense. Of course the outcome of a high value, long term contract should weigh more heavily that some $ 10 nonsense.


 In my opinion a bad rating for a long term contract does not make any sense!, If the client figured out after 1 month for instance that my service is not good for him, why did he continue paying me for another whole year?!.

 

Is it normal to buy an apple every day for 1 year then you say " Ohh it was hell bad "?.


 If you're buying an apple every day for a year, then in the last week all the apples have worms in them, then sure.

 

It is extremely unlikely that an ongoing contract for a year would suddenly end with bad feedback. There would have been warning signs or another layer to this story.

 

I also don't understand what you're getting at with this hypothetical situation. It is very unusual for someone to post here with a completely hypothetical question that has no relevance to them at all. Why are you asking this question, really?


 Hi Jennifer,

 

And is it fair to leave a negative feedback for a whole year`s work because the last week was bad?!, of course not. I have been thinking of that situation for a long time because all my contracts right now are long term projects, I give my best to my clients, and they are satisfied. but I keep thinking about the rating issues, what if one of them ruined my profile?, what if.....? you know?

 

Thanks.

 

 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 35

So... Is your long term contract going wrong? If not, what is the point of this thread?

m_acc_des
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
18 of 35

@Petra R wrote:

So... Is your long term contract going wrong? If not, what is the point of this thread?


 Of course not, my point is that I was thinking about what Tonya said in her reply, I thought that it is unfair to allow a client to work with a freelancer for a long term job then let him or her worry about the rating at the end, there are some clients who don`t give a 5 stars rating as they don`t believe in that as a rule in their lives, you know what I mean?, as I am starting to work more in upwork I am very worried about my profile and JSS.

As I reached the information I wanted then every thing is okay 🙂

 

Thanks.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
19 of 35

Well I had two long term clients leaving me great feedback, at least public, and one or two short term clients who left something between 3.5 and 4.5 and few short term that left excellent. My jss dropped down from 100 to 97 where it stuck.

I don't know how much of impact had those long, very long contracts.

____________
Don't correct my grammar!
richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
20 of 35

"I cannot forecast to you [what will happen to your JSS]. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS