Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Term relationships and JSS!

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
21 of 35

The feedback from a long-term client doesn't count more than that of a short-term one (as far as I know). But having long-term contracts (that percentage on your stats) can boost your JSS. So, if your reviews would put you at a 97, achieving a certain percentage of long-term clients might bump that up to a 98. I've noticed that for my account, the positive effect of long-term clients seems most beneficial with a percentage between 25 and 45. 

Of course, this is just my opinion, based on my observations. I'm sure someone will come along soon to tell me how I've gotten it all wrong.

Here's a link to my original observations on the topic:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/IMO-JSS/m-p/279486/highlight/true#M173419

FWIW, I have received a bad review from a long-term client because he wanted me to do more work than agreed in the form of "revisions" and I chose to walk away. The client had no interest in salvaging the relationship and took revenge in his review. (This involved a different client than the one I mentioned earlier.)

Bottom line: Any bad review from any client will drag down your JSS. The more good reviews you have to balance that out, the better off you will be. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

And is it fair to leave a negative feedback for a whole year`s work because the last week was bad?!,

If a client has been working with a freelancer for a year, they would certainly try to salvage the contract and relationship if it suddenly turned sour. If they weren't able to salvage it and the freelancer left them with a failed project and a lot of money wasted, then of COURSE it's fair to leave negative feedback. The feedback is on the outcome of the project, after all.

still don't really understand what you're trying to get out of this thread. What are you hoping to achieve? Do you want Upwork to change something?

m_acc_des
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
23 of 35

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

And is it fair to leave a negative feedback for a whole year`s work because the last week was bad?!,

What are you hoping to achieve? Do you want Upwork to change something?

Actually yes, I think it fair to let the client leave a negative feedback as long as the contract does not exceed 3 months, once it passes 3 months that means the client is very satisfied with the work delivered by the freelancer ( I am talking about hourly contracts of course ). In this case the general feedback is set automatically to be at least good.

firescue17
Community Guru
Steve L Member Since: May 5, 2015
24 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

... once it passes 3 months that means the client is very satisfied with the work delivered by the freelancer ...

What do you suppose Bernie Maddof's JSS would have been after 48 years?

What do you suppose Kenneth Lay's JSS would have been after 31 years?

m_acc_des
Community Guru
25 of 35

@Steven E. L wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

... once it passes 3 months that means the client is very satisfied with the work delivered by the freelancer ...

that is completely another case, The first is fraudster!. Freelancing is something different, you deliver work every day, it is being reviewd by your boss or whatever.

Please answer this question directly: What about a freelancer who worked for a long time with a client, but fo some reason ( may be a bad person by nature ) he gave him a 1 star rating!. why do upwork believe the evauation of the client?.

firescue17
Community Guru
Steve L Member Since: May 5, 2015
26 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

@Steven E. L wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

that is completely another case, The first is fraudster!. Freelancing is something different, you deliver work every day, it is being reviewd by your boss or whatever.

It is most assuredly the exact same case -- human nature is no different in a freelance relationship than any other.

As soon as a freelancer passes this golden-rainbow-sooper-majikal 3-month threshold you're proposing they're no longer held accountable for their work ethic or quality control?! Comon, get real...

m_acc_des
Community Guru
27 of 35

As soon as a freelancer passes this golden-rainbow-sooper-majikal 3-month threshold you're proposing they're no longer held accountable for their work ethic or quality control?! Comon, get real...

I am not saying this at all, what I am saying is to not allow the client to give 1 or 2 stars rating at least for quality, and skills.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
28 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

@Steven E. L wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

Please answer this question directly: What about a freelancer who worked for a long time with a client, but fo some reason ( may be a bad person by nature ) he gave him a 1 star rating!. why do upwork believe the evauation of the client?.

Bernie Madoff was "delivering work every day".

A client who consistently gives "bad" ratings is actually reviewed by Upwork and sometimes their ratings are not used to calculate JSS.

If the client is a "bad person by nature" then either 1) this would have shown up in their previous ratings of and by other freelancers so you could see that before you even submitted a proposal for the job, or 2) you should have picked that up long before a year had passed.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 35

@Mohammed G wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

Actually yes, I think it fair to let the client leave a negative feedback as long as the contract does not exceed 3 months, once it passes 3 months that means the client is very satisfied with the work delivered by the freelancer ( I am talking about hourly contracts of course ). In this case the general feedback is set automatically to be at least good.

That is utter nonsense.  

m_acc_des
Community Guru
30 of 35

@Petra R wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Mohammed G wrote:

That is utter nonsense.  

Please let me know why.

Let us talk ligically, Upwork MUST have a way to " prove " the rating of the client, for instance a client gave a freelancer a 1 star rating because he once talked to him in a bad way, but this freelancer delivered good quality jobs! Then the rating of this freelancer Must be a 1 star for manners ( very obvious ) and 4 or 5 for quality and skills right?, how do upwork know that all clients rate the freelancers this way?

My very clear 2 questions: What if a client tries to punish a freelancer with the rating on purpose? and how to assure that clients rating are fair?

Kindly note that I am not talking about my self at all.

Thanks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS