cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-term client started new business; service fee has therefore gone from 5% to 20%

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
Gillian S Member Since: Feb 20, 2019
1 of 13

Hi there,

I have a long-term client who recently started a new business and has made a new Upwork account for it. I have worked with him for a long time and have reached the point where the fee is only 5%. Since he has a second account, however, I am being charged 20% for work done for this second business.

I was trying to contact Upwork support directly but I cannot find out how to do that. When I go to Customer Service, I can only chat with a bot; I see no option to message a human. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us

I'm hoping a moderator might be able to assist me so that I can speak with an Upwork support person about this.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

Gillian S wrote:

I'm hoping a moderator might be able to assist me so that I can speak with an Upwork support person about this.

Unfortunately, because the client created a new account, it is a new business, and the new contract will be charged at the 20% fee.

There isn't anything support can or would do about it.

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
3 of 13

So if it is considered a new business, I should be able to work with them outside of Upwork.

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
4 of 13

Petra R wrote:

Gillian S wrote:

Unfortunately, because the client created a new account, it is a new business, and the new contract will be charged at the 20% fee.

There isn't anything support can or would do about it.

Can you tell me how I can speak to a support person about this? If they are considered a new business, then I would be able to work with them outside of Upwork.

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
5 of 13

When I go here - https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us - to contact Upwork Support, there is no option to do so. Does anyone know why or another route?

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
BEST ANSWER
6 of 13

Hi Gillian,

To request help, you can click the question mark icon (see screenshot) located at the bottom right corner of this page and provide information about your account type as well as the issue you need help with. *Note: you must be logged in to see this option. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can click the "thumbs down" button and you'll see more support options.

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with this.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
7 of 13

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Gillian,

To request help, you can click the question mark icon (see screenshot) located at the bottom right corner of this page and provide information about your account type as well as the issue you need help with. *Note: you must be logged in to see this option. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can click the "thumbs down" button and you'll see more support options.

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with this.

Thank you.

Thank you for your help Aleksandar! It is much appreciated.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

Gillian S wrote:

If they are considered a new business, then I would be able to work with them outside of Upwork.

You can do that anyway as you've been working with them for over 2 years.

The 2 year exclusivity period ended last month.

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
9 of 13

Petra R wrote:

Gillian S wrote:

If they are considered a new business, then I would be able to work with them outside of Upwork.

Sorry Petra. I am a bit confused. How do you know about how long I have been with this client?

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
10 of 13

8Gillian S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Gillian S wrote:

Sorry Petra. I am a bit confused. How do you know about how long I have been with this client?

Perhaps she looked at your profile job history and saw only one job with $10000+ earnings, and therefore only one with 5% fee rate.

That said, I'm often surprised at the information Petra is able to discover.  I think she either has a back door into Upwork's system or a very accurate crystal ball. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS