cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-term client started new business; service fee has therefore gone from 5% to 20%

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
Gillian S Member Since: Feb 20, 2019
11 of 13

Richard W wrote:

8Gillian S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Gillian S wrote:

If they are considered a new business, then I would be able to work with them outside of Upwork.

You can do that anyway as you've been working with them for over 2 years.

The 2 year exclusivity period ended last month.

Sorry Petra. I am a bit confused. How do you know about how long I have been with this client?

Perhaps she looked at your profile job history and saw only one job with $10000+ earnings, and therefore only one with 5% fee rate.

That said, I'm often surprised at the information Petra is able to discover.  I think she either has a back door into Upwork's system or a very accurate crystal ball. 

Ah, I see! Well, that's actually not the client in question. My long-term client I was referring to sets up individual contracts and closes them. But it's good to know that this is how she may have drawn the conclusion that she did. The back door into Upwork's system would be worrying.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 13

Gillian S wrote:

The back door into Upwork's system would be worrying.

Oh sorry! I really didn't mean to worry you! You worked with that client for over two years as well. I certainly don't have a back door, I just know what to look at on a public profile.

The point was that you are not bound to use Upwork (I do with my long term clients because it's just so much simpler) anymore as you've worked with the client over 2 years.

gilliansanger
Ace Contributor
Gillian S Member Since: Feb 20, 2019
13 of 13

Petra R wrote:

Gillian S wrote:

The back door into Upwork's system would be worrying.

Oh sorry! I really didn't mean to worry you! You worked with that client for over two years as well. I certainly don't have a back door, I just know what to look at on a public profile.

The point was that you are not bound to use Upwork (I do with my long term clients because it's just so much simpler) anymore as you've worked with the client over 2 years.

No but my concern is that you don't actually know the client I am referring to. You said that the two year exclusivity period expired last month, which is not the case for my client in question (I will not say whether I've been with them for longer or shorter than that). Your statement would be true for the ongoing contract I have that Richard was referring to, but in any case you have made assumptions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS