cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term high-value contracts effect on JSS

Highlighted
Sergio C Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
1 of 9

Hi, does having a 4-month inactive but long-term contract that's worth $11,000 with more than 4200 hours on it negatively affect my JSS? My JSS is constantly slipping by 1-2 points (from 100 down to presently 89) since the contract was paused by the client last July 2 despite receiving 6 positive feedbacks of more than 4* and getting 3 new jobs during this period. Would it be best to end this dormant contract? By the way I've had this contract since late 2011 and is my longest-term job here. Thanks.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 9

Hi Sergio, 

Contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback. You may read more information about why your Job Success score is changing in this help article.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

The dormant contract has nothing to do with your slipping JSS.

Feedback does, including private.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Erik S Member Since: Apr 6, 2018
4 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

Actually, a support rep from upwork told me fixed price contracts with no activity over 75 days and hourly contracts over 30 days are considered inative and will negatively influence the score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

@Erik S wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Actually, a support rep from upwork told me fixed price contracts with no activity over 75 days and hourly contracts over 30 days are considered inative and will negatively influence the score.

"Actually" - that is not true. (or only true partly, when nothing was ever paid and even then it is not 30 / 75 days, or you have a REALLY high percentage of such jobs)

There are people with literally dozens of such jobs and a 100% JSS.

I have several myself and my JSS is 100%

Unless you have a LOT of such contracts **OR** they never had anything paid on them, they do not affect your JSS. If you have a significant percentage of them they may well have a bit of an effect, and "nothing ever paid" is bad, open or closed, but a non-significant percentage has zero effect as long as money has changed hands.

See here

no effect.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 9

It is possible that you are no longer receiving a benefit from the fact that it is a long-term contract since you've not received any payment on it for several months. What is your long-term clients % on your stats page? If this number has decreased your JSS may decrease. Also, other contracts may have fallen out of your calculation window for JSS; this too will cause a change. 

Contracts with less than 5 stars may still be considered good outcomes from the client and freelancer point of view, but the JSS is looking for the absolute best outcomes. So it is possible that those clients who were less than 100% satisfied are the reason for your JSS drop. 

Highlighted
7 of 9

@Tonya P wrote:

It is possible that you are no longer receiving a benefit from the fact that it is a long-term contract since you've not received any payment on it for several months. What is your long-term clients % on your stats page? If this number has decreased your JSS may decrease. Also, other contracts may have fallen out of your calculation window for JSS; this too will cause a change. 

Contracts with less than 5 stars may still be considered good outcomes from the client and freelancer point of view, but the JSS is looking for the absolute best outcomes. So it is possible that those clients who were less than 100% satisfied are the reason for your JSS drop. 

The current 'long term clients' number is at 27% ... pretty low so I think this could be 1 factor in the dip in my scores.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 9

@Sergio C wrote:

Hi, does having a 4-month inactive but long-term contract that's worth $11,000 with more than 4200 hours on it negatively affect my JSS? My JSS is constantly slipping by 1-2 points (from 100 down to presently 89) since the contract was paused by the client last July 2 despite receiving 6 positive feedbacks of more than 4* and getting 3 new jobs during this period. Would it be best to end this dormant contract? By the way I've had this contract since late 2011 and is my longest-term job here. Thanks.

Your last 2 contracts don't have great feedback, and the private feedback likely is worse. What is your "client that would recommend you" number?

Highlighted
9 of 9

Your last 2 contracts don't have great feedback, and the private feedback likely is worse. What is your "client that would recommend you" number?

Hi Martina. According to my stats, the number is currently 86%.  The "long term clients" is at 27%.

Yes, the last 2 gigs are not perfect 5*s but the very last one is only worth $12. I'd consider the other one with a 4.5* a positive outcome with great review. Yes, I agree the private feedback would likely be the reason for the dip in my scores.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS