🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Looking for Advice Re: Safety/ Leaving a Cont...
Page options
c1bbcf31
Community Member

Looking for Advice Re: Safety/ Leaving a Contract

Hey Guys,

I started a contract on Upwork (there's actually 2 of them) and I immediately thought something wasn't quite right after noticing that the person volleyed back the work that I gave him stating we were going to have a meeting. He then asked me to do multiple meetings and even a rehearsal (some VO actors were involved) which were all unpaid. I had to basically ask him for payment. In addition he asked me for my phone number.  I declined to give it to him. Last night after showing him my drafts he asked me to call him rather than do any form of communication over Upwork.  He said I needed to hurry up and give him the copy that it was due and that I needed to call him (it was around 10PM) I said I didn't feel comfortable and tried to call via the Zoom link on Upwork.  He didn't pick up. I politely said it may be time for him to find another freelancer. Overall, I feel extremely uncomfortable working with this person and am looking to leave the contract. He simply paused it.  What would you advise here? Thanks!! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Sarah, you are a business owner.  Close the contract, refund him if you wish, then block him.  Done and Done.

Vonekham, same thing.  You are not his employee.  You are a business owner trying to work with this guy.  Upwork isn't going to help you - Upwork is a platform to find work and get paid for it.  Filing a dispute is a possibility but Upwork will not decide wrong or right.  They will simply try to negotiate a financial settlement between you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
c1bbcf31
Community Member

Hi Does anyone have any thoughts on best routes forward for something like this? Thanks! 

guthrie_vonni
Community Member

I am going through a similar situation with a brash and unprofessional client that sets unrealistic expectations and does not provide the information requested in a timely fashion - if at all - then expects everything to magically appear when they send a message and continuously tries to shift and change goals but refuses to release milestones. There needs to be accountability on both sides of the contract. I have repeated myself so many times I wonder if I am speaking a foreign language. Upwork please help your dedicated freelancers. I would recommend calling in to corporate and have a dispute ticket issued so there is a record on file with Upwork. I will be doing this first thing tomorrow.

That's a great perspective, thanks! 

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Sarah, you are a business owner.  Close the contract, refund him if you wish, then block him.  Done and Done.

Vonekham, same thing.  You are not his employee.  You are a business owner trying to work with this guy.  Upwork isn't going to help you - Upwork is a platform to find work and get paid for it.  Filing a dispute is a possibility but Upwork will not decide wrong or right.  They will simply try to negotiate a financial settlement between you.

tagrendy
Community Member

I had 2 experiences like that. My protocol is decreasing conversation, usually they get bored and leave. These are types of people that like making you uncomfortable, toying with you, boredom makes them find something else to toy with. However they do have big egos, so the few times I'd communicate with them, I'd be polite and almost complimentary, just buying time for me to close the contract at the right time with less damage. 

That said, if they continue nagging for months ( that happened too ), I will close the contract and accept the damages, at that point the stress it's costing me more than a bad feedback.

c1bbcf31
Community Member

Thank you! I would love to close the contract @Mary W.  I looked around for ways to do that as a freelancer but seemed that it had to come from his end. 

Hey I just found out how to do this. Never mind (new here) 

Thank you so much @Mary W... 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members