Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Partner/Mentor

hanson-brian
Brian H Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
1 of 21

Hi,

I've been casually programming for about a year now and want to start doing freelance projects. The only jobs I know how to do completely(and with confidence) are webscraping and task automation, which have a lot of competition because it is pretty easy. I know how to do parts of what others are asking, but I can't commit to doing all of it.

Would anyone want to work with me and help me grow as a programmer? My days are free and I'm willing to learn new libraries.

Thank you,

Brian

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
2 of 21

Hi Brian, 

Looks like your profile (to me, and I'm no expert) looks more like you want to hire someone to teach you your profession. 

Also, with a Magna **bleep** Laude GPA:3.7,  a rate of $7 an hour is what you think you're worth? You do live in the States right? 

I hope you find someone that will partner with you! 🙂 

hanson-brian
3 of 21

lol. I'm just trying to get programming experience right now, and it's hard to land a first job. The $7 is just to make something instead of nothing, but it does seem sort of ridiculous.

And I understand what you're saying. But I'm moreso trying to get guidance for what libraries or data structures are appropriate for the project at hand.

screeler
Community Guru
4 of 21

I'm not sure how you're going to work this,  but you'll get some solid advice from someone.

But still. 10? Well, it's better than 7. 🙂 

screeler
Community Guru
5 of 21

Sorry Brian, have to say this. Not trying to divert but this is just s***id. 

Magna *um Laude has been reduced to profanity now on Upwork? Seriously. It's allowed on the profile so what's up here? Sigh. 

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
6 of 21

What are you looking for from a partner/mentor?

hanson-brian
7 of 21

Hi Daniel,

My problem is that I can do parts of the longer freelance projects, but not the whole thing. And that's not to say I couldn't finish it, but the solution might be innapropriate and lack extensibility.

So what I'm looking for is the following:

1. An opportunity to discuss possible solutions to a problem with somebody. Both to understand why it's the best solution and to make sure I don't make a rookie mistake. Right now I run the risk of putting a lot of work into a part of a project when there could be a library that does it for me.

2. Work with other people. I enjoy collaborating with others on very specific tasks like programming. Also, this would help the person I'm working with because I can do a lot of the programming/debugging to start off.

3. To find out if programming(mostly Python for now) should be the career that I seek out full-time or if it's just a compliment to my career.

4. To get experience. I'm having a hard time getting any jobs on Upwork, although I only started applying a few days ago. Working with another programmer would give me a better chance of having higher-level work to do. Right now I only feel comfortable doing smaller and lower-level tasks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 21

Brian, you say you want to do higher-level jobs, but you don't have the skills and experience necessary to do so.

You should not be seeking higher-level jobs. You should be applying to do jobs which are appropriate for your skill level.

Whether you find a mentor or not, you will still need to work your way up by virtue of your own merit.

You will need to do free work, not on Upwork, but for Brian. The way for Brian to expand his skills is to choose projects that Brian is genuinely interested in, and complete those projects. For free. Learning the appropriate techniques and skills along the way. This might be done with the help of a mentor, or a consultant you hire to review your work. Or by reading excellent resources.

These projects can become pieces in your portfolio.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
9 of 21

Python is not a great language for a novice programmer IMO.

1.  It's a language that is used to teach programming, so a lot of programmers have Python experience.

2.  There aren't many Python jobs on Upwork.

3.  Python jobs many times are to maintain existing architecure which requires a high level of skill.

You should learn another programming language in order to be more marketable.  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
10 of 21

Hey Brian, I was once an aspiring programmer who had zero skills, so I'll throw in my opinion. 

I think pounding the pavement and finding a local real-world gig for about 6 months is your answer. Self-taught programmers are usually horrid until they work in the enterprise and have someone correct them. I got very lucky and was taught by some awesome DBAs and lead developers. 

I've noticed that the people who do well here already have real-world experience. They are the ones who land the great gigs and work well at it.

It's very difficult learning how to take on large projects without ever being exposed to the way business works. Working with colleagues (developers are a fun group of people too!). Understanding the way enterprise development works, merging code, 911 fixes, change control, working with PMs and BAs, understanding normal user complaints, user experience, etc etc.

I hate working in the enterprise, but I seriously think it's invaluable to a freelance programmer. And, you can always fall back on it! What's great is that people need programmers who only want to work for 3-6 monhts, which is uncommon in other industries. If you like that type of short-term work, you'll love it and there are plenty of gigs to choose from. I recently passed up an ebay interview where I was probably a shoe-in since the main recruiter working there knows me from another contract I did with her. Seriously, you can do anything with some experience and networking in your area.

It will be tough if you are junior level, but as you gain experience, you will be able to land gigs no problem. People with families want the full time gigs, but there is a huge need for experienced developers who just want to work on contracts for 3-6 months. Once you get experience, you'll land those easy. Then, you can shuffle Upwork with real jobs when you feel like going back.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS