Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Partner/Mentor

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 21

Jennifer's advise is spot on ... and fully applicable to EVERY category of the freelance world.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 21

Instead of charging clients for your training, why not learning you job first, and then selling your expertise?

Going into freelancing with an amateur perspective is a one-way ticket for failure, especially on online sites where clients give you ratings.

There is a lot of good literature about programming techniques avaiable. Why don't you educate yourself by reading those, and start some own project(s) which will give you a chance to learn and do all the beginner's mistakes, instead trying to sell your inexperience and beginner's mistakes to clients?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
hanson-brian
Brian H Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
13 of 21

Thank you all for replying.

I think there was a misconception that I wanted to get paid for training. What I was looking for was some sort of guidance while helping another programmer complete the project.

The general consensus is that it won't work out for me here, so I'll take that advice. I can't just sit around and not make any money either, so I'll look for non-freelance work. Most likely database-related work.

Thank you,

Brian

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 21

I wanted to do DBA stuff at first, but those people are insane. LOL ( Say that lovingly in front of our db designer)

They are stressed out non-stop, and seem to never sleep. lol So, I wanted the lazy route of a dev where I could sleep at night. lol

But DB stuff pays well, and it's interesting.  I keep hearing MongoDB everywhere I go, which is funny cuz "mongo" in spanish is "dumb" or "stupid."

p_valdes
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
15 of 21

Only in Cuba and Puerto Rico. In Philipines is a small legume and in the rest of countries, I suppose that it means nothing. Nobody will understand you in Spain if you say that sb is a mongo. Moreover I think that could be seen as derogative or racist, so I would not recommend you to use it. Sounds like fake african language. 

Non-sql BD are interesting in concept. I remember when everybody talked about MongoDB a few years ago. But I'm not sure it it was grow to match its expectatives. They have problems also, and sql is very solid currently and more popular. I could be wrong, but it seems that many companies are deserting it. Could be an useful skill for freelancers having in mind that there is a smaller pool of people available mastering it.

lysis10
Community Guru
16 of 21

When I used Mongo, my manager said "I'm not promoting something that means dumb in spanish... " lol So we developed in Mongo but switched to SQL Server for production.

Mongo was interesting. It was cool to develop in it but I still fall to trusty SQL for my own stuff. From what I've read, no-SQL is only good if you are doing insane amounts of data with no structure. That's cool but I think people are overusing it in instances where a relational db would be more appropriate. I'd rather the db throw me an error than let me create an orphaned record. Stuff like that. 

Maybe I"m too old school but I prefer structure rather than "just throw this poop anywhere and let god sort it out."

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 21

I don't have much experience in DB but I love MongoDB not only for the structureless aspect but for its easy replication features.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
pedroapinto
Pedro P Member Since: Aug 12, 2016
18 of 21

First time i heard about Mongo it was in college, since i'm portuguese and Mongo in spanish has the same meaning in portuguese, one day i check my email box, i see a mail talking about a Mongo workshop on college i thought it was a joke mail at first Man LOL. Really strange name to call for a tool.

p_valdes
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
19 of 21

I had played with several DB and tried anything slightly interesting in that sense, and I prefer also the old and trusty SQL language for my projects.

> "I'm not promoting something that means dumb in spanish... "

Hum, it depends on how you pronounce it. If you say MON-go, stressing the first syllabe, it means nothing, as i said before; but mon-GO could be misheard as 'mongol' easily, specially in the south of Spain and in many american countries. Cubans have an unorthodox way to use the 'L', so maybe this is the origin.

The use of Mongol as 'dumb' is colloquial and has a complicated subtext. Means directly 'Mongolian' and is neuter if you use it to refer to a people from Mongolia but ... there is a group of people that 'look like mongolians': Trisomic, thus monGOL is an euphemism for 'down syndrome' and by extension for 'retarded'. Strongly restricted to a colloquial and non formal context.

In that sense Mon-GO DB could be translated to "the DB for retarded people". Fortunately I think that is pronounced as MON-go. Am I right?.

lysis10
Community Guru
20 of 21

@Pablo V wrote:

I had played with several DB and tried anything slightly interesting in that sense, and I prefer also the old and trusty SQL language for my projects.

> "I'm not promoting something that means dumb in spanish... "

Hum, it depends on how you pronounce it. If you say MON-go, stressing the first syllabe, it means nothing, as i said before; but mon-GO could be misheard as 'mongol' easily, specially in the south of Spain and in many american countries. Cubans have an unorthodox way to use the 'L', so maybe this is the origin.

The use of Mongol as 'dumb' is colloquial and has a complicated subtext. Means directly 'Mongolian' and is neuter if you use it to refer to a people from Mongolia but ... there is a group of people that 'look like mongolians': Trisomic, thus monGOL is an euphemism for 'down syndrome' and by extension for 'retarded'. Strongly restricted to a colloquial and non formal context.

In that sense Mon-GO DB could be translated to "the DB for retarded people". Fortunately I think that is pronounced as MON-go. Am I right?.

ha ! Well, it could be that it was a Cuban who let us know that it means "dumb." South Americans say Cubans don't speak real spanish so maybe that's the problem. 😄 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS