🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Looking for Upwork Few Tips
Page options
codeitsmart
Community Member

Looking for Upwork Few Tips

From my previous post n reply from upwork MEMBERS i got few points clear but few points still i do have hope this time you can help me

1 . in our country we always consider or call "Sir / Madam" to our Client ( India ) , so if i call by their name in upwork like "Hello xyz / abc " so would they mind ( i mean our client ) or they will get angry ?
if i dont call them Sir or Madam and they report my profile k i call by their name because different people different percenption at that time my profile will get suspend na ?

Help me . if i cal them Sir / madam  ( with respect ) suppose its also against upwrk Tos ?

2 . when i wil be able to get "top rising stars "

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
browersr
Community Member

I have no idea what could have led you to believe that the nature of how you address someone could possibly violate a ToS or cause someone to report you. Of course if one use a derogatory term then sure, but otherwise at worst it's just outside of custom.  Towards that end, understanding the general customs of who you are addressing is never a bad thing regardless of who or where you are in the world. If you think the client is from say the US, I would not go with Sir/Madam. When I worked in corporations I hired off-shore companies including many from India. Never once did the folks there address us as sir/madam. I believe that is because they were coached on how to address American clients. I would assume any smart American company providing services to India would also coach its American employees. So I would suggest that if these large companies on 6-7 figure contracts don't do it, you shouldn't either. If you aren't sure, you could either not open with any greeting (as Preston suggested) or, if that feels off to you, you can start with a simple "Hi" and then get on with it. In the end, try to understand as best you can your client's basic customs, but a the very least, be your professional self. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is NOT AGAINST Upwork ToS to call people "sir" or "madam."

And it is NOT AGAINST Upwork ToS to NOT call people "sir" or "madam."

Upwork has no ToS rules about this.

There's no rule about calling them by their name, either.

There's just advice, that's all. This is really not a big deal. Any normal client is not going to get mad about how you greet them.

Me, personally, I NEVER USE ANY KIND OF GREETING AT ALL.

But that's just me. Other people use some kind of greeting. Some freelancers say it makes their proposals seem more personable. Some freelancers are worried it will seem to personal or make them seem goofy. Some people are worried that the client will instantly know what country they are from based on their greeting... There are many different opinions about this. But it is very irrelevent.

Ok , thank you 

2591126f
Community Member

Abhishek

I am a Client from India. I get both form of address . Some address me as Vivek and Some address me as Sir. Freelancers from Europe and America usually go with the Vivek. In case of Freelancers from Indian Subcontinent, some other asian countries and some african countries, it's a mixed bag. Some use name, some call sir.  Some others do not prefer to use anything, Just a Hi and down to business. 

I am ok with whatever suits you and its makes no difference to me, neither positive nor negative. Its quality of your portfolio , profile and cover letter that matters. But I can speak for only myself.

There is no method to know what will offend someone else. Rather than  concentrating on these trivial issues make  a great portfolio, have a good profile and  write compelling cover letter.

If somebody rejects your proposal just for not saying them sir , feel good and thank your luck-it is never a good idea to work for people who consider themselves the centre of universe.

.#Justmyopinion

Thanks Vivek Ji for your valuable opinion .
Hope someday we will work together  Smiley Wink

browersr
Community Member

I have no idea what could have led you to believe that the nature of how you address someone could possibly violate a ToS or cause someone to report you. Of course if one use a derogatory term then sure, but otherwise at worst it's just outside of custom.  Towards that end, understanding the general customs of who you are addressing is never a bad thing regardless of who or where you are in the world. If you think the client is from say the US, I would not go with Sir/Madam. When I worked in corporations I hired off-shore companies including many from India. Never once did the folks there address us as sir/madam. I believe that is because they were coached on how to address American clients. I would assume any smart American company providing services to India would also coach its American employees. So I would suggest that if these large companies on 6-7 figure contracts don't do it, you shouldn't either. If you aren't sure, you could either not open with any greeting (as Preston suggested) or, if that feels off to you, you can start with a simple "Hi" and then get on with it. In the end, try to understand as best you can your client's basic customs, but a the very least, be your professional self. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths