Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a bit of help.

nosvan
Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
1 of 7

Hello people. It's been a while from the last time I came. Today, I am representing a close relative who watched me work this way and attempted to do it as well. Now, he has a whole different set of skills from my own, which means that I couldn't help him to set proper prices for his service, and a friend who had moved to US presented him with a guy who hired him as a... Social Media Manager? I would not know, but I am aware he's getting really, really underpaid. To sum things up, this is what he told me he does on a weekly basis.

- 50 professional brochures

- 20 15 seconds videos

- handle this guys' business social media

- attend clients when necessary

- attend his client's demands when necessary, regardless of how busy he currently is (and believe me, he is)

Monthy salary: 150$

Okay, some of you will go straight into the "your relative is getting peanuts for slavery!", and yeah, I also told him that. In fact, he's earning less than a graphic designer here, and he wouldn't mind that much but for the fact he's really, really busy (attending 2 universities plus this job) and he's burning himself quite fast.

E: I forgot to mention how difficult is to acquire USD here. Even despite the fact he's getting underpaid, he's earning over 4 times min salary.

The thing is, I want to help him, so this is the first step. This is the stuff I currently know he can do:

- 1 semester away from Civil Engineer degree

- 4 semesters away from graphic design degree

- Outstanding excel user 

- Use photoshop, corel draw, Auto CAD, and video editing softwares proficiently

- He can program with C, Java and HTLM

Con

- He doesn't speak English

That con over there is the only thing keeping him away from Upwork, so his choices are limited. I was thinking about helping him with that, and help him to find jobs and manage his Upwork account in the meantime while I teach him how to properly communicate. So, I would like to know what he can do here and a (prhaps conservative) range of prices we may take as a guide to set his own.

I appreciate your time in advance 😄

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

why don't you create an agency and hire him under your agency?

You can't help people find motivation. They need to do that on their own.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Jose Daniel M wrote:

Con

- He doesn't speak English

That con over there is the only thing keeping him away from Upwork, so his choices are limited. I was thinking about helping him with that, and help him to find jobs and manage his Upwork account in the meantime while I teach him how to properly communicate. So, I would like to know what he can do here and a (prhaps conservative) range of prices we may take as a guide to set his own.

I appreciate your time in advance 😄

You must be super careful. You can't "manage" someone else's Upwork account and can't log into it or anything like that. Not speaking any english is no good. How would he communicate with clients?

PS _ Jennifer's idea with an agency is a possibility, but you'd have to go for agency Plus plan which costs money every month, and with there being already a million "graphic designers" etc around it is even questionable his profile would be approved, or that he'd win work.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 7

@ José Daniel --

Welcome back!  We haven't forgotten that you are going to make us potato salad. Now there's (also) some Russian guy who owes us all a beer, as well!

The fact that your relative doesn't speak English would seem to limit his earning potential significantly, if he values $USD. But that isn't my area of expertise.

I can tell you that one of my daughters worked during two summers as an intern at a new-ish but now fairly-well-known Home Furnishings company (pm me and I'll tell you which one; you can Google it). The second summer, she more or less managed the social media for their younger target audiences. At that time, she had just earned her B.A., although it was understood that she was working only for the summer and that she was technically an intern. (They loved her work and tried to convince her to stay on after the summer.)  She was not paid especially well:  no medical coverage; no vacation pay; no pension plan (as an intern). She was paid hourly, and earned something like $11-12 an hour. Maybe it was a wee bit more, but not much. That was in Massachusetts, working on-site.

Good to see you again!  Hope you are very, very busy (and well-paid) yourself!

nosvan
Community Leader
5 of 7

Both of yo have legit points, and Petra is right about mishandling another person's Upwork account (which is why I decided to teach him English instead). An Agency is also fine, but I specialize in Translations, and I wouldn't know how to begin. If something, I'm getting some lessons with Java (free course, nothing special) to get a better grasp of it and expand my work spectrum. Anyways, I'm worried, because he won't decline this job nor both universities. He wants to get his degrees and flee with enough money to settle in another place (by this point, I suppose you are all tired of hearing that from Venezuelan people). 

Petra, in that case, what do you think he can do? What role can he fill that it's not as popular as Graphic design?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

To be honest, without English ..... He should finish his degrees, and then look at his life and his choices. don't try and live his life for him.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys" as they say in Poland....

nosvan
Community Leader
7 of 7

Blood relative, but you are right. So far, I will limit myself with the English lessons. He's quite competent anyways.

By the way, I'm stealing that saying for myself. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS