cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice about specialized profiles and popular projects

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 24

It looks like I'll have to set up some specialized profiles for myself, since I've needed to update my portfolio for ages and can't put it off any longer. But I'm still nervous about taking the plunge; does anybody know whether the bug that showed 0 earnings on some people's profiles has definitely been fixed? 

And if I do create a specialized profile, add lots of new portfolio items, then later decide that this isn't working for me and I want to delete it, what happens with all of the new items that I've uploaded? Will these portfolio items end up in my main profile, or will I just lose everything?

Third question: Has anybody gotten any offers from having "Popular Projects" listed in their profile? I haven't had a single inquiry. I know that Upwork asked for feedback from a bunch of freelancers - over a month ago? - but I haven't heard any announcements about whether they plan to make any changes. If there are no plans to improve this feature, then I'm just going to delete mine because it's a waste of space.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
2 of 24

Christine A wrote:

It looks like I'll have to set up some specialized profiles for myself, since I've needed to update my portfolio for ages and can't put it off any longer. But I'm still nervous about taking the plunge; does anybody know whether the bug that showed 0 earnings on some people's profiles has definitely been fixed? 

And if I do create a specialized profile, add lots of new portfolio items, then later decide that this isn't working for me and I want to delete it, what happens with all of the new items that I've uploaded? Will these portfolio items end up in my main profile, or will I just lose everything?

Third question: Has anybody gotten any offers from having "Popular Projects" listed in their profile? I haven't had a single inquiry. I know that Upwork asked for feedback from a bunch of freelancers - over a month ago? - but I haven't heard any announcements about whether they plan to make any changes. If there are no plans to improve this feature, then I'm just going to delete mine because it's a waste of space.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Curious myself.

Anyone using this ("Popular Projects")? Any experience with it?

Does it have any purpose?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 24

I'm planning on leaving "popular projects"—as I use it and as Upwork has advised using it, "typical projects" would be a better description—in place until Upwork pulls the plug. For my business, it's a very efficient way of breaking down typical/targeted services and their prices.

[edited for clarity]

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 24

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I'm planning on leaving "Popular"—as I use it and as Upwork has advised using it, "typical" would be a better description—Projects in place until Upwork pulls the plug. For my business, it's a very efficient way of breaking down typical/targeted services and their prices.

So does that mean that you've gotten some new business from this feature?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 24

Christine A wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I'm planning on leaving "Popular"—as I use it and as Upwork has advised using it, "typical" would be a better description—Projects in place until Upwork pulls the plug. For my business, it's a very efficient way of breaking down typical/targeted services and their prices.

So does that mean that you've gotten some new business from this feature?

Nope, not that I can tell. No one has used PP to contact me. I've had an uptick in invites, and maybe of somewhat better quality, but presumably that's cyclical/lucky.

I actually think of it as a tire-kicker filter, as well as a reality check for serious clients with serious projects. It's hard to figure project cost from either my rate, my statement about my variable rates, or my job history. Popular projects lets me lay out typical costs for typical projects, without having to parse editing into copy light, copy heavy, substantive, developmental, line, etc... 

Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
6 of 24

Christine A wrote:

I

I haven't received any inquiries at all. I did the interview with Upwork about it and recommended some changes to be made, but haven't heard anything since from Upwork or clients. I figured I'll leave it up until the end of the year and see what happens, if nothing comes up, I'll remove it. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
7 of 24

Christine, specialized profiles has woked for me ... but "popular projects" is impossible to segment as a writer.  My POV only - and based on each job has unique issues.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
8 of 24

Christine,

I have specialized profiles.
I don't know if they work or not, but how you have to have them to be able to expand the portfolio, there they are.

I have not used popular projects because I do not know how to undertake it.
In animation, for example, there are so many variants to give a budget, that I would not know how to explain it.
And less with so little place to do it Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
9 of 24

I just added something last week and I feel like I just added it to my main portfolio, and then it also had an option to included in my Editorial Design specialized portfolio. And somewhere they say that the info will stay up there, but I think as long as you add it from your main profile to start you're good to go,

They added the popular projects to my profile even though I didn't want them, mostly because I don't want to pigeonhole myself... if someone sees books starting at $250, but that's a 32-page children's book with very little text and illustrations already complete... I don't want them to think I'll do a 400-page textbook for that much. So right now I feel like it's kind of an anchor around my neck but I'm going to try to put some relevant things and see if anything happens. I've been so buried with book work that I haven't had time to worry about it. That seems to have increased since I made a specialized profile.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
10 of 24

I think splitting our earnings across specialized profiles is absurd though. I KNOW they're doing it and even I am taken aback when I see the low numbers on some freelancer's profiles. So I'm sure some clients are confused as well.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS