🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Looks like I have been scammed
Page options
basiima_sandra
Community Member

Looks like I have been scammed

I really need help from the upwork Team please. I found a job with the Title "Retype from image to document" and I have realised they so many Jobs being advertised on Upwork.I was hired then managed to complete my task given 80 images plus to Retype to document. The next step was to get paid but to my surprise after asking my Bank details they wanted me to pay a deposit of 220USD first then get paid.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

8 REPLIES 8
d1c3375f
Community Member

There should be no operation outside the Upwork, according to the rules. And yes, you don't have to pay anything. Your issue at this point is that you didn't get paid for the work. 99% it is a SCAM

petra_r
Community Member

Yes, that's obviously a scam.

Please bear in mind that you are strictly forbidden to communicate with prospective clients before you are properly (!) hired through Upwork, which you were not. Those rules are, in part, in place to try and protect you from scams.

In future, do not communicate with clients outside the platform until you are hired. You will avoid the vast majority of scams, with the added bonus of not having your profile suspended for violating the terms of service.

PradeepH

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your message. I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you
Pradeep
Upwork
e544cfcc
Community Member

Hello!! They-re still posting this job on different ways! **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

They are asking for an ID Card that is $50 and then they ask you the type of work you want to do. Everything in Whatsapp... And then apparently they are asking for more money. Its totally a scam and when I told them that they were scamming me, they were really rude and deleted all the information! Be careful !!  

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Laura A wrote:

Hello!! They-re still posting this job on different ways! **Edited for Community Guidelines** 

They are asking for an ID Card that is $50 and then they ask you the type of work you want to do. Everything in Whatsapp... And then apparently they are asking for more money. Its totally a scam and when I told them that they were scamming me, they were really rude and deleted all the information! Be careful !!  

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Never communicate outside of Upwork until you have a contract and don't pay or send money.
Follow the TOS and look for the scam information in the top right carousel.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

At least you didn't lose any money. 

This is not a real job, this typing thing is just a pretense to keep you busy and make you believe it's a real task. It isn't. They don't use the work. It's just a scam. 

ericaandrews
Community Member

You NEVER perform any work until you have an Upwork contract sent to you and accepted by you.  If you didn't receive an e-mail/notificaton from Upwork with a job offer, followed by an email/notificaton from Upwork that says "your contract has started" after you accepted that offer, then you didn't have a contract and should not have performed any "work".  You weren't 'hired' if you didn't receive a contract on Upwork

Stick to interviewing ONLY on Upwork and don't begin work until you have an Upwork contract in place

bundie702
Community Member

A very popular scam these days is the "retyping" ad, where they offer outrageously high hourly rates or large fixed sums and no specifics. 

Remember, if a job sounds too good to be true, it is. And don't let anyone try to talk you into communicating with them off platform. All hiring goes through Upwork, or else you haven't been hired.

Beware.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths