🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Looks like there are fake clients signing...
Page options
afifield
Community Member

Looks like there are fake clients signing up for upworks plus now and adding viruses in

I just saw a job for an unverified client but that is Upworks plus. they had a link to one of those download sites for the file. I downloaded, didn't open and scanned it with my virus scanner and it instantly deleted it. Heads up and friendly message to my fellow freelancers out there that even Upworks plus clients can have viruses because looks like they can sign up for a free month and I assume hackers are signing up for the free month and then sticking viruses in there. 

I personally think a Upworks plus client should be verified anyways.

Any mods want the link to the job so it can be deleted? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

If you can please send me the job post link through a PM, I'll look into it, and send it over the team so that we can review it. 

Thanks for flagging this job post!

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
hermanng
Community Member

UpWorks does not care about you me or any Freelancer they just want clients - the whole system is stuck against us

Hermann M wrote:

UpWorks does not care about you me or any Freelancer they just want clients - the whole system is stuck against us

Interestingly, if you read the client forums, you will find a great many posts about how Upwork always sides with the freelancer and clients have no rights or protection.

It seems globalization of dissatisfaction is popular on both sides of the equation.

Sorry, but my intend of the post was just to warn people really, I didn't say I don't think they care at all... I love Upworks honestly, great work you can get here. Just letting people know about this because people may fall for this due to it being a plus member. Trying to do my part to keep people for falling for this scam and I figure by mentioning it and maybe giving to the mod it may help because it usually doesn't get looked at quickly otherwise and I personally don't need to open a ticket because I didn't open the virus but I scanned it and saw it was one and my virus scanner deleted it. Is there a way to notify a mod directly or do you think it would be better to open a ticket to report? 

I agree they don't do everything right but they are running a business and they do care somewhat, otherwise they wouldn't try to help anytime. 🙂 

Amanda F wrote:

Sorry, but my intend of the post was just to warn people really, I didn't say I don't think they care at all... I love Upworks honestly, great work you can get here. Just letting people know about this because people may fall for this due to it being a plus member. Trying to do my part to keep people for falling for this scam and I figure by mentioning it and maybe giving to the mod it may help because it usually doesn't get looked at quickly otherwise and I personally don't need to open a ticket because I didn't open the virus but I scanned it and saw it was one and my virus scanner deleted it. Is there a way to notify a mod directly or do you think it would be better to open a ticket to report? 

I agree they don't do everything right but they are running a business and they do care somewhat, otherwise they wouldn't try to help anytime. 🙂 

Sorry, it seems I failed to put the quotes.

My response was to Hermann our whiner in chief, not you. Yours was a very constructive post, Amanda.

lol no worries haha, I think the thread got a little out of subject there for a bit. 🙂 Just want to make sure people are aware because having a virus in an Upworks plus post, especially where the price was a decent fixed one, is not good at all. Be careful everyone and be extra vigilant when downloading any file here but same can be said for lots of places online. This stuff easily fools people sometimes! 

Well, I'll flag your post so that a mod takes a look at it quicker.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Hermann M wrote:

Yeah, and some FLs get stuck with making $17k on one project. 

Real hardship there.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Hermann M wrote:

UpWorks does not care about you me or any Freelancer they just want clients

Wrong.
You can opine they don't care as much as you'd like them to. Not that they don't care at all.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

If you can please send me the job post link through a PM, I'll look into it, and send it over the team so that we can review it. 

Thanks for flagging this job post!

~ Avery
Upwork
afifield
Community Member

Reported and it looks like another freelancer had also brought it to upworks attention as the post seemed to be already removed when I messaged Avery. I sent the link to where the virus file was so they know what it was. They seem to have acted very quickly actually, and that shows they do, in fact, care about this place and the users here!  Robot Happy

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanda, 

I'm glad to know that the team has taken action on this. Let me know if I can further assist you with anything!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths