cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Clients Because of Odesk's Failed Upgrades and Poor Customer Service

Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
1 of 23
Yes, you read it right. I landed a great contract a couple of weeks ago, for the long term. It was creating custom EBooks for fitness (which I absolutely love fitness). At any rate, the client was loving my work until a problem with the Odesk system occurred. He told me he used to do business here all the time until all these little tweaks and upgrades began occurring. The job he posted (and he hired me for) was his first time back in awhile. The project went well and he was ready to move into phase two for a new round of work (it's an hourly contract) until Odesk decided to suspend his account for some unknown reason. He has tried multiple times to reach them and they don't reply. Because of Odesk's lack of professionalism, slow ability to respond to a client, lack of authoritative knowledge to directly assist a client, and onward, I'm at a huge disadvantage here with this client. He has been great and hasn't said a rude word to me, but he has voiced his complaints about this platform now. I'm at risk of losing my job with him (that would have been long term) because of the inadequate customer service of Odesk. We are all aware of how slow they are to respond to you anyway. Now, they do the same thing to clients. This platform is FAILING big time, and when they are costing me positions and good clients I get pissed. There is no excuse in this, and I don't understand how a CEO of such a huge platform could allow this to happen. WIthout the contractors here, Odesk has nothing. Clients are leaving...Contractors are leaving....what are you going to have left Odesk? I'm so mad at this point, because I work hard. These changes simply aren't working out for anyone. What does it take to get it back the way it was? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
2 of 23
A big reason why clients are leaving is not due to Odesk system, it's not becoming a cost effective way to do business anymore. Why would we pay someone from "X" country, the same amount of money we could pay here locally? Doesn't make much sense in most cases. If contractors want to know why there having a difficult time finding jobs, lower your rate to be on par with what you make for same profession in your country. Clients know other venues to achieve this and these people that are hired are excited to have a job at about or slightly higher than they would be paid locally. Become greedy and you'll kill this site. (Not saying you're greedy I'm speaking in general)
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
3 of 23
For heaven's sake, the OP is not even talking about pay rates and you've hijacked her post. Be considerate, will you? Not even a statement of empathy, geez.. @OP: Sorry to hear about it; hope you get things resolved.
Jean D Member Since: May 9, 2010
4 of 23
Marissa, I was just thinking that when you nipped in before me! I don't know what the rant was about X country when Misty is not from X country; she's from his country!
5 of 23
The OP made a statement as to why clients are leaving the site - I elaborated on that. You seem pretty mad someone knows what you should be paid and exposing it.
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
6 of 23
I am pretty... but mad? Any other diatribe you can throw? I am getting bored now that world peace sounds so much better Smiley Tongue
7 of 23
Yep, you are pretty, I agree with you there Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
8 of 23

"lower your rate"

Awesome. That's exactly what Upwork needs - even more lowballers.

No thanks.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
bharti s Member Since: May 3, 2010
9 of 23
Well you are in Advantage to have direct contact , Why to bother Odesk is mediator anymore or not .
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
10 of 23
the fact that as contractors here, we are bound by the Odesk policies. We can't just up and do what we like with a client that finds us through this platform. I believe there is a stipulation that prevents us from working outside of Odesk once we begin working with a specified client inside of Odesk. Isn't that right fellow freelancers? Please let me know if I'm wrong on that or not. Otherwise, I would definitely take this client up on working for him away from this platform, but I don't want to create any legality issues. At any rate, while communication outside of Odesk is fine (and that is all that happens) I'm bound to work for him here unless he decides to up and leave. I'm not sure at that point if I could work for him outside of this platform? Thanks all who stepped in to give input and encouragement here despite the slight issue with other commentary Smiley Very Happy I appreciate it! I hope that my situation will get resolved and Monday will have Odesk straightening out the issues my client has with his account.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS