cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Clients Because of Odesk's Failed Upgrades and Poor Customer Service

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
11 of 23
But if oDesk is not living up to its obligations, are you bound by those same obligations? oDesk is supposed to deliver a certain level of service and if it isn't then maybe other options should be available.
Community Leader
bharti s Member Since: May 3, 2010
12 of 23
Well , this is one time contract with odesk as you take the first job . For example . Client posted the job on odesk , You can not demand to work outside odesk or client can not demand it . So when contract get started and guys have direct communication . and job is delivered and paid and rating is exchanged . you guys are done with odesk. than you are not bound to work back again with client on odesk if you don't wish too or if client dont wish too . If he says ok I am done with odesk and not ready to open another job on odesk and want to pay directly Odesk can not force you to make him post a job on odesk ,and get you hired , It's all about client wish if he wants to pay future works through odesk or not please correct me here odesk if i am wrong ? so logic says , If client post a job on odesk you can not take him directly its against the policy of odesk . But as long as there is no job posted and you have direct contact and client don't want to pay through Odesk that's work . Well I know i am not good writer so excuse me for Grammatical mistakes .
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
13 of 23
Even after you have completed a contract with a client, you are not allowed to work for them outside the platform for a certain amount of months, it is in the TOS.
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
14 of 23
I agree that in a case like this, oDesk is at fault, and not only your client, but they have been after a lot of clients that use both Elance and oDesk, but are not giving the proper support. I also have one client who I have worked with alomst a year, they suspended his account last week stating "he needs to fill out some Elance paperwork". crazy considering this is oDesk, and neither account should affect the other. Just like you I am unsure as to what to do at this point, I enjoy the work from the client, and the client himself, but people can only pause their projects so long before a client goes somewhere else. I wonder, since his account here is suspended, can he hire you via another platform? I am not suggesting, I am just wondering. If a clients account isnt active/valid, then are they still covered under the TOS? Maybe oDesk should be a little clear on this point. My client, who has accounts on both eLance and oDesk sent me a job invite via eLance to continue the work, I have been waiting on a reply from support for over a week to see if this is allowed since both companies are now merged, and his account here is no longer valid for lack of support by oDesk.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
15 of 23
You're right on the time frames and such, as a client will indeed only wait for so long. My client here had told me the work was always needed within a week, with each assignment, and that is fine with me. Now, with this suspension on his account everything is in limbo. He told me that he is so frustrated, and he isn't going to wait around for them for days on end. So, where does that leave me, the contractor? It's a mess, really. I feel for your situation too! I don't want to lose the position as it is great, so it's depressing Odesk is causing such hardship. I took the time to present myself to the client, and now I've proven myself with the work quality. But then, Odesk goes and screws things all to HE**! It's maddening! This client wanted to leave feedback for this project and then hire me again for this second one but I don't think he can with his account screwed up. I can't even give him an assessment of the next project since I can't work....ughhhhhhh! And the administration here just doesn't seem to help at all, contractors or clients it would seem. Smiley Sad
Jacques A Member Since: Oct 19, 2013
16 of 23
hello, its a frustrating situation, i feel your pain although i don't believe the client. i personally have opened many support tickets and always gotten quick responses to issues. even escalated support issues were very quickly sorted out. an account suspension is a serious thing, we are not the client so we wont be told the truth or should be guessing. technology fails, yes, did you not find it odd the client did not call oDesk support ? don't take it as an account of your work quality.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
17 of 23
He did call Odesk support, but they only had a recording. No one is available over the weekend it seems. Please don't assume. I explained quicker ways to get in touch with them, but he has had contracts here in the past so he was already aware. He has no reason to lie, he's a great client in fact. I don't want to have my client downed just because of some fault with Odesk. At any rate, he has taking all the avenues you've already mentioned and they have only replied they'd get back with him. Still nothing. While you might have had better service, I know for a fact that support is slow. For example, I put in a support ticket days ago and have yet to receive a response. What kind of support is that? This site is starting to become ill managed. I believe it is due to a lack of poor work quality too. Many times a support agent here just gives you a run-around anyway. They have never really been a great asset to me when I had an issue, as I mentioned. I'm sick of the lack of good customer service at a place of business like this. In fact, these new issues, or whatever you want to call them are letting everyone down.
Ace Contributor
Mark G Member Since: Feb 7, 2008
18 of 23
Hi, Just to set the record straight. oDesk owns you and the client up to 3 years after last oDesk project contract. You and client agree to this when you sign-up for oDesk services. A client can hire an oDesk contractor outside of oDesk if the client pays a $500 buy-out of their contractor's oDesk contact. This is in the oDesk TOS. As for clients or contractors, there are several stories, FACTS, that suspensions can last for weeks or months without resolutions, and when a resolution occurs, no explanations are provided as to why it required so much time to resolve. Out
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
19 of 23
[quote=Mark Goldsmith]oDesk owns you and the client up to 3 years after last oDesk project contract. You and client agree to this when you sign-up for oDesk services[/quote] Actually, when I signed up years ago it was two years and when I checked it last November it was two years as well. I don't understand why they keep changing the ToS without any announcements but it speaks volumes about how this place is run.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
20 of 23
I've decided to hire somewhere else. Why? I posted a job and I asked applicants to attach a sample of a related work or a link to a related work. My job post was taken down after some clown from the system said I was soliciting free work. How can I be asking for free work when I was merely asking for a similar job link or sample of something that the contractor has done in the past? More so, when I first posted it, half the system's recommended contractors are not even qualified. My disappointment with this platform grows more and more each day.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS