Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost functionality in Upwork

rcraighead
Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
1 of 16

So far I am unimpressed with Upwork. 

• Green is hard to read on screen (much harder than the oDesk blue).
  • Emailed "Notification" links go to the wrong location (job bid responses should go to Job Application thread NOT normal Message thread).
  • Erroneous orange dot appears next to "Bell" icon even when no new messages are present.
  • Return key "sends" a message instead of starting a new paragraph in Message thread (bad idea).

These are a few the issues I have with the new website. Hope they are address in the near future.

Ray

thombeth
Rebecka W Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
2 of 16

The return key sending the message is really problematic. 

The orange dot appearing when there are no new events is annoying.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 16

@Rebecka W wrote:

The return key sending the message is really problematic. 

Agree that this should not be the default, but it literally takes two seconds to click on the gear icon and change the setting so that hitting return enters a line break....and, once you've changed it, it stays that way for all messages.

jefframlee
Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
4 of 16

It took a bit of getting used to the whole green theme, but it has actually grown on me. Not too sure about the logo Cat Indifferent

Upwork messaging is not the only platform that sends when you hit "enter". This has bothered me for years, which is why I always hold down the "shift" key when I hit "enter" for a new paragraph. I do it without thinking.

rcraighead
Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
5 of 16

In text formatting "Shift-Enter" has a specific purpose - to start a new line without starting a new paragraph. It's a useful workaround, but should not be required.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 16

Agreed, the entry-window default is return key for (non-automatic) line return, and a discrete action to send/post, such as a click (or "enter," on keyboards that make the distinction). Sites that allow send via return key usually make that a user-toggled option.

iftikhar-ishaq
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
7 of 16

Ray C

• Erroneous orange dot appears next to "Bell" icon even when no new messages are present.

Upwork mods  are aware of it and trying to resolve it hope they find out the problem with this yellow dot.

pennname3
Charlotte Muriel E Member Since: Feb 28, 2016
8 of 16

The yellow dot is actually appearing next to the name of the person for which I am currently working. Could someone provide me with a "dot guide", please. It's confusing me and quite unsettling. Thanks.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 16

@Charlotte Muriel E wrote:

The yellow dot is actually appearing next to the name of the person for which I am currently working. Could someone provide me with a "dot guide", please. It's confusing me and quite unsettling. Thanks.

Green means they are active.

Yellow means away.

Gray means offline. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 16

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Charlotte Muriel E wrote:

Green means they are active.

Yellow means away.

Gray means offline. 

And there is the seemingly random blue dancing dot. That will appear like Tinkerbell when there is a new feature to be discovered. I have discovered it is harmless - you have to click on it and say 'done' and then it goes away (This is for real, BTW, I'm not making it up!).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS