cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my English - Fluent - Verified status

Hazel Jin M Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
1 of 91

I have not checked my Upwork profile for more than a month. Several minutes ago, I noticed that the Languages part of my profile now says "English: Fluent, Self-Assessed" instead of having the Verified symbol that I used to have.

Has any of you experienced this too? I don't know if it's a bug that got introduced when Upwork switched to JS score as the primary rating. I doubt Upwork would just take away my verification, especially since my only contract that ended that time was with a satisfied client who gave me good feedback and wanted to hire me again.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 91

Yeah. Same here. Used to have a verified symbol. (Because I passed the Duolingo test.)

But now it is gone. :-(

I promise that I still can speak English.

Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
3 of 91

So, how do you get this verification badge?

Karol T Member Since: Mar 26, 2014
4 of 91

I got my badge (now lost too) showing my certification in the Cambridge Assessment Exams.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 91

Hi Hazel and Preston,

It is a known issue and our engineers are working to bring the verification mark back on your profiles.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Frank C Member Since: Nov 10, 2018
6 of 91

I'm new and when I applied for a project, it said Warning; not native english.

How do I fix this?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 91

@Frank C wrote:

I'm new and when I applied for a project, it said Warning; not native english.

How do I fix this?

Go to Find Work > Profile, hover your mouse near "English" - click on the pencil icon and change it to Native - Bilingual.

english level.jpg

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 91

Yep, same here. I reported it to CS and they said it's a bug they'd escalate to the team.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 91

re: "So, how do you get this verification badge?"

Traditionally there are two ways that a contractor can have their English language proficiency validated.

A contractor can sign up with Duolingo, a language-training and language-testing company.

For $20 a contractor can take a test that evaluates their English proficiency and reports the results to Upwork.

This is a serious test. It is proctored. You can take it anywhere, but you need to use a computer or tablet with a video camera built in so that a proctor can verify that it is you taking the test, which includes parts where you listen to English and write down what you hear, and also includes speaking requirements, in addition to written questions.

The Duolingo test requires that you submit government-issued ID such as a driver' license. They have many measures in place so that people don't cheat or have other people take a test for them.

The OTHER way you can be validated is that Upwork periodically asks clients to evaluate a contractor's English language proficiency at the close of a contract.

With enough evaluations from clients, a contractor might earn a validated English proficiency badget on their profile page.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 91

@Preston H wrote:

re: "So, how do you get this verification badge?"

[...]

The OTHER way you can be validated is that Upwork periodically asks clients to evaluate a contractor's English language proficiency at the close of a contract.

With enough evaluations from clients, a contractor might earn a validated English proficiency badget on their profile page.

Stephen B and I have asked similar questions in another thread last week (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Are-you-TOP-RATED-If-yes-how-or-if-not-why/td-p/120279/p... - we're not getting any answers there.

So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?

The ones that hired me because my English skills are better than theirs (GER-ENG translations)?

That can't be right and seems a rather odd & unprofessional way of verifying language skills.

Thanks,

Ela

EDIT: Valeria would probably be in a better position to evaluate my English skills as she has had to read too many of my posts in the past months!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS