cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my English - Fluent - Verified status

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 91

lol this actually reminds me of a job I did for a Russian developer. He had translated the software prompts and content, but he wanted someone to clean up the English. I looked at the spreadsheet and thought "psssh 1 hour tops." Bid, hired, escrow funded.

I do the work, send it back thinking I had it in the bag. I went through at least 4-5 revisions of that (*&%(&)*&)* spreadsheet because he kept sending it back telling me certain things didn't sound right. He would make suggestions and I would tell him "No, that's not right." He wanted me to remove the "We" stuff in his testimonials, and I kept going back and forth over and over and over again. What a nightmare.

I kinda wonder how he would rate me on my English skills. lol

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
12 of 91

@Ela K wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

re: "So, how do you get this verification badge?"

[...]

The OTHER way you can be validated is that Upwork periodically asks clients to evaluate a contractor's English language proficiency at the close of a contract.

With enough evaluations from clients, a contractor might earn a validated English proficiency badget on their profile page.

Stephen B and I have asked similar questions in another thread last week (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Are-you-TOP-RATED-If-yes-how-or-if-not-why/td-p/120279/p... - we're not getting any answers there.

So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?

The ones that hired me because my English skills are better than theirs (GER-ENG translations)?

That can't be right and seems a rather odd & unprofessional way of verifying language skills.

Thanks,

Ela

EDIT: Valeria would probably be in a better position to evaluate my English skills as she has had to read too many of my posts in the past months!

Hopefully third time's a charm...

Could a moderator please provide an answer to this repeat question?

Many thanks!

Ela

Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
13 of 91

Good. My English speaking skills are not great, but I will consider this test. Thanks.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 91

re: "So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?"

Probably anybody.

It's a novel, interesting system, but it's not a very sophisticated system.

We have heard plenty of accounts of clients with poor English language skills positively evaluating contractors, and contractors with poor English skills thus earning validated English proficiency badges.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
15 of 91

With Duolingo (and I'm making myself feel bad because I should have been doing my studies now instead of being here..sigh) I notice that when I'm doing voice answers, Duo will either say repeat and I get a couple more chances to speak the French, Dutch, or Spanish sentence correctly, or it just tells me I did fine and moves on. I think that, secretly, Duo is kind of tired of me and just wants to pass me through like my math teacher did when I took math in night school. Smiley Sad  

Sometimes Duo gets a bit annoyed with me because I don't spell words properly.. like with French, I type it with North American letters instead of using accents on the letters. Same diff to me, but Duo just can't let it go. I think we're drifting apart really... I really need to be more attentive because Duo's kind of needy that way.... Smiley Wink 

So Duo isn't perfect but why not try for the $20 certificate? Can't hurt! 

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
16 of 91

The verified status bug has been resolved and those who lost the badge should now see it on their profile. If for some reason it isnt showing try updating your language setting for it to trigger.

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
17 of 91

@Lena E wrote:

The verified status bug has been resolved and those who lost the badge should now see it on their profile. If for some reason it isnt showing try updating your language setting for it to trigger.

Thanks,

Lena

Lena,

Update it to what?

Native is gone - so is Upwork really asking people to have a 'verified badge' sitting next to 'masterful'? 

Surely that is not what they got verified for...

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
18 of 91

Ela. you can update it to the option you would like to have selected at this time. We have heard the concerns about masterful and they have been noted. My update was for those who lost the checkmark recently. 

Untitled
Community Guru
19 of 91

@Lena E wrote:

Ela. you can update it to the option you would like to have selected at this time. We have heard the concerns about masterful and they have been noted. My update was for those who lost the checkmark recently. 

Lena,

I didn't have a 'verfied badge' next to my native language. Never felt the need to verify that. But for 3 weeks now (or even longer) I have been trying to find out which clients can verify my English skills.

The verified badge disappeared on people who had verified their native status. So, my question is - what good is a 'verified' next to 'masterful' - as that is the level that has replaced 'native'.

And no, I can't update it to the selection I would like - because 'native' has been removed.

Ela

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
20 of 91

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info, Preston, I didn't know clients are asked to do that. That might explain how I got a Verified badge - I was wondering about that because I haven't provided any certificates; I only have the oDesk Upwork tests under my belt but I know for sure they don't qualify you for Verified status. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS