cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my English - Fluent - Verified status

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 91

I lost my 'verified'  fluent English, as soon as I changed my status to native. Those who 'verified' me, are not native English speakers, so I guess I prefer to be an unverified native. Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
22 of 91

Since this thread's been re-awoken, it seems timely to ask again for a specidic response to a moderator. Myself and Ela have asked numerous times for answers but have been ignored every time. So (and forgive me Ela for copying your own post, it was quicker than finding my own), could a mod please answer the questions:

Stephen B and I have asked similar questions in another thread last week (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Are-you-TOP-RATED-If-yes-how-or-if-not-why/td-p/120279/p... - we're not getting any answers there.

So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?

The ones that hired me because my English skills are better than theirs (GER-ENG translations)?

That can't be right and seems a rather odd & unprofessional way of verifying language skills.

Hopefully third time's a charm...

Could a moderator please provide an answer to this repeat question?

The answers can't be that hard really, as we're asking about who within the Upwork system is asked to verify a freelancer's proficiency in English status; so surely someone working within Upwork knows the answer to that...

(Fourth time of asking now...)

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
23 of 91

Plus, an update on this bug would be great.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
24 of 91

I just detected this on my profile:

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 16.20.47.png

MASTERFUL??? Last time I checked I had selected 'native'.

So, do I now need some (potentially random) clients to verify my mother tongue as well?

We still don't know which clients can verify language levels - please see the repeat questions above.

Thanks.

Edit: I can't believe this - they have indeed axed native and replaced it with masterful - native is not an option in language settings anymore. Speechless.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
25 of 91

I get the same masterfull absurd  for my NATIVE Portuguese language.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
26 of 91

The same thing here. I am masterful and open to offers. 

EDIT: If you don't realize how bad this sentence above sounds and how bad it looks on the profile, I guess no amount of argument and logical reasoning can help.

Mastery implies expertise-being a native speaker does not mean being an expert.It means just that-being a native speaker.

The same way less than 10 hours means just that-less than 10 hours-not open to offers or available as needed.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
27 of 91

@Natasa M wrote:

EDIT: If you don't realize how bad this sentence above sounds and how bad it looks on the profile, I guess no amount of argument and logical reasoning can help.

Mastery implies expertise-being a native speaker does not mean being an expert.It means just that-being a native speaker.

The same way less than 10 hours means just that-less than 10 hours-not open to offers or available as needed.

And probably sending proposals... Robot wink 

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
28 of 91

Masterful..

index.jpg

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
29 of 91

"And probably sending proposals... Robot wink"

LolSmiley EmbarassedI changed it to "less than 30 hours" not open to offers. Smiley Wink it is so seriously embarrassing, really. I am contemplating going back to fluentSmiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
30 of 91

@Natasa M wrote:

Haha - Natasa I was going to post the same sentence!

As Michael has pointed out - can't wait for RFPs requesting a masterful *insert language* speaker...

Whatever **edited for Community Guidelines** that is supposed to mean.

Edit: Since I can now self-assess my mastery of the English language - can we take it up a notch and enable me to write my own reviews? And self-assess the mastery of my other skills, too?

That would tie in nicely with Michael's CS experience. In the future, when I receive a mediocre or bad rating I shall promise my client that I will be better in the future and work on improving my skills - and then ask them to revise their review. Or, to save everybody time, I could just write it myself! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS