Lost my English - Fluent - Verified status

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
41 of 91

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Not to mention these ** definitions

Fluent - I have complete command of this language with perfect grammar

Masterfull of it - Complete command of this language

Oh, geez! These are supposed to be hierarchical!?

By the way, for the "conversational" level, the correct word is "orally," not "verbally." (Hint: All language is verbal.) But then, that takes us down the slippery slope of availability for offers of mastery.

Best to all,

Michael 

Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
42 of 91

Mine is gone too. I hope it gets fixed right away. I kind of hate seeing it as "self-assessed".  It's like saying "I diagnosed myself to English fluently."

Seriously, lately it's just one thing after another.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
43 of 91

I just changed my (native) German level to fluent - as that seems to indicate that I can master German grammar - whereas a 'masterful' (formerly native) German speaker apparently can't. 

Not according to Upwork's definition of that proficiency level. 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
44 of 91

So now there is no option for native speakers. Wow. That's a great step forward. (By the way, that's sarcastic). Why do they always try and fix an obvious problem by spending three minutes on it and making it worse?? They have a fantastic resource of native English speakers here with full mastery of the language and all its nuances - but the irony is that not only do they not draw on this resource, but at the same time they are depriving them of another selling point in their profiles. Really, I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but I would have done the whole thing in half an hour for free, and so would many others on here. It's what I do, very well.

Question: who came up with the new wording? Who gave the go-ahead to implement it? (In the middle of a weekend..hmmm) Why would they not use a native speaker with complete mastery of the language??

PS OH, and, by the way...

So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?

Hopefully third time's a charm...

Could a moderator please provide an answer to this repeat question?

The answers can't be that hard really, as we're asking about who within the Upwork system is asked to verify a freelancer's proficiency in English status; so surely someone working within Upwork knows the answer to that...

(Fourth time of asking now...)

So,

Fifth time of asking???

Who can verify language status: how are they chosen, what are the criteria for choosing them?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
45 of 91

Valeria..

since you're around....

???

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
46 of 91

@Stephen B wrote:

So I am going to ask again: which clients can verify my English skills?

Only native speakers? Any client I worked for?

As the system has absolutely no way to identify "a native speaking client" that really could not be implemented, realistically.

I am not a native English speaker and on my client account I have answered the "how's the freelancer's English" question.

I am not certain whether it's always there when I close a contract (now I think about it, I am leaning towards it not always appearing but am not sure) and I have also no idea whether it counts towards the freelancer's "verified English" badge.

I also thought (and again I am not sure if I heard it, or imagined it) that this "verified English" level badge thing was on it's way out anyway.

Community Guru
47 of 91

@Ela K wrote:

I just changed my (native) German level to fluent -

I did too. I can't bear the thought of having that "masterful" thing on my profile....

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
48 of 91

So did I. The term is preposterous.

I too think that freelancers ought to learn more about this "clients rating language abilities of freelancers" thing. I had seen it mentioned before, but for me Petra's post just now is the first one that confirms that clients are indeed being asked this question (I might have overread previous confirmation).

Overall, the idea might not even be a bad one. I'd rather have my clients confirm my abilities than buying myself some badge through some testing site. But it needs to be clearly defined, transparent (what do clients get to rate, how and when?) and can't be ruined by a single rating by a stuck-up client. 

Community Guru
49 of 91

I have to close a contract anyway.... lemme see if it appears!

OK. I just ended a contract with a non native English speaker who has his English level set to "fluent." The freelancer is long established, top rated, and has a JSS of 100%

The question about the English skills did not appear this time. I have seen it recently when ending contracts for fairly new freelancers who are also not native English speakers.

Make of this what you will.

This widget could not be displayed.
50 of 91
This widget could not be displayed.

I added native in my title ...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS