@Margarete M wrote:

I added native in my title ...

I wonder if

"If you want masterful and open to offers, you may be on the wrong site!"

as a title would get me into trouble?

Ace Contributor
Nadav I Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
52 of 91

Oh, no. As a Hebrew translator living in Thailand, that is super bad for me. Clients already think I am a fake translator since I am in Thailand instead of Israel... (Why must we set up our location and not where we are from?)

There are many Indian fake “translation agencies” and clients just think I am one of them…

Now I cannot even choose my own language as Native.

Masterful just sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings.

I have also passed the Duolingo test with 9.1 out of 10, perhaps not the best score, but they classified me as “as-native”, not “masterful”…

Oh my Buddha

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
53 of 91

Conversational
I know this language well enough to verbally discuss project details with a client.

Fluent
I have very good command of the language and can use it with ease and accuracy.

Native
This is my native language (mother tongue).

Expert
I have complete and expert command of this language in terms of diction, word choice, grammar, punctuation, and syntax, in both formal and informal contexts.

Native expert
This is my native language, and I have complete and expert command of it in terms of diction, word choice, grammar, punctuation, and syntax, in both formal and informal contexts.

***edited for Community Guidelines***

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
54 of 91

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen, I like it. I'll share this with the team for their consideration.

Hazel Jin M Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
55 of 91

I like Stephen's list. It makes it easier for clients to gauge the actual language skills of the freelancers.

And I like that the "Expert" level is above "Native" and that there is a separate "Native Expert" level, because not all native speakers are exceptional language users. They just speak the language more fluidly and with more conviction, whether or not they have perfect command of grammar, spelling, word choice, etc. "Expert" implies mastery of the language on a level higher than that of many native speakers.

Community Guru
56 of 91

Thanks Hazel - you've hit the nail on the head with the whole point of my suggested list (which I'm glad has been left undeleted). There needs to be a hierarchy, and I think my list does that. And as you say, expert should come above native, because expert implies someone who has sound command of the finer points of the language - typically on here writers, editors and proofreaders  who use the language as their daily tool. Putting expert above native means that the likes of Petra, for instance, who to me has near-perfect English (makes the occasional slip, but so do we all on the forum anyway) is put above someone who was born speaking a language, but has no great proficiency in using it in a professional context.

The old list was totally confusing because you could be two things, but not know which was more important to highlight; and also the implied hierarchy was certainly dodgy., and you could be placing yourself in a lower category than you deserved.

The new imposed soluution - well, let's just say (if I'm allowed) that it is neither hierarchical nor grammatically correct, and the word choice is less than optimal.

So again I thank you, and I dream of the day when something like this may be implemented for the good of everyone on here.

(And of course I'm open to constructive suggestions as to how my list may be improved.)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
57 of 91

@Stephen B wrote:

Conversational
I know this language well enough to verbally discuss project details with a client.

Fluent
I have very good command of the language and can use it with ease and accuracy.

Native
This is my native language (mother tongue).

Expert
I have complete and expert command of this language in terms of diction, word choice, grammar, punctuation, and syntax, in both formal and informal contexts.

Native expert
This is my native language, and I have complete and expert command of it in terms of diction, word choice, grammar, punctuation, and syntax, in both formal and informal contexts.

LOVE it!

I wish this was used, but this horrific "masterful" claptrap must go immediately whatever happens.

At the moment I am very grateful that I am not applying for any contracts and am set to unavailable - I was so mortified at the "masterful" ***edited by myself*** that I changed my own mother tongue to "fluent" just as I was forced to set myself to "unavailable" because I didn't want "open to offers" on my profile.

I would still like to know what the people who came up with, and those who approved "masterful" were smoking when they did.

Community Guru
58 of 91

Thanks Petra

It was the likes of yourself I had in mind when I wrote it - it's not fair that you would be marked below a native speaker who has poor language skills. The major (usual problem) is that they were trying to ram three things into two boxes. The suggestion to remove native I find ridiculous considering the number of posts that specify they want native speakers. This way suits everyone, I think, and has a robust and logical hierarchy to it. Hmmm, we'll see.

I thoiught it was kind of masterful really  Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
59 of 91

Great list Stephen! I would love to see this in the near future. 

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
60 of 91

@Nadav I wrote:
I have also passed the Duolingo test with 9.1 out of 10, perhaps not the best score, but they classified me as “as-native”, not “masterful”…

Oh my Buddha

A good score on a test does not make you a native speaker. English is not your native language.

I wish they would add mother tongue to avoid confusion, I know many freelancers have set English as their native language, when clearly it's not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS