Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my English - Fluent - Verified status

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
81 of 91

@Isabelle,

probably better than "self-assessed" Smiley Happy

But I get what you mean. The word choice simply remains terrible, no matter what.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
82 of 91

How about "mistressful? "...

This widget could not be displayed.
83 of 91
This widget could not be displayed.

@Stephen B wrote:

How about "mistressful? "...

Yes, the gender debate should also be considered... 

Community Guru
84 of 91

Or maybe just lose the first two letters  - that would suit everyone then...

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
85 of 91

Hi folks,

I posted this same update on a separate thread, but wanted to make sure it's recognized here as well. 

My apologies that it's taken a while for a (semi) update to this topic but I do want to let folks know that we are preparing some updates related to the two discussions we've been seeing this week regarding a) the English Verified badge that can appear on profiles and b) the change from "Native" to "Masterful" in language proficiency choices. 

We're preparing a more comprehensive post to announce new updates to this, in large part based on your input. I hope to have that posted early next week. Thanks for your patience. 

-Garnor

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
86 of 91

Get someone who is 'expert native' English to check word misuse while you are about it.

Masterfully yours,

Nichola

Community Guru
87 of 91

I'd truly and positively like to say that I'm looking forward to that; but in all positive honesty I'm just hanging on in fear and trepidation about what they come up with next. Sorry Garnor I am really trying to be positive. I guess we'll all just have to wait...

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
88 of 91

@Stephen B wrote:

I'd truly and positively like to say that I'm looking forward to that; but in all positive honesty I'm just hanging on in fear and trepidation about what they come up with next.

Whatever it is, it can't be worse than "masterful" .............................

.............. can it?

Bradley S Member Since: May 11, 2016
89 of 91

I am flummoxed by this as well. When I submit a proposal, it indicates I am disqualified for the job because I am not a native English speaker. Everything in my profile suggests I am. I usually apply anyway and iterate from the beginning of my cover letter that I am a native English speaker. I don't know, of course, whether this is getting to the potential client.

I saw Valerie's reply that Upwork is working on this, but I have experienced this problem for at least three weeks now.

I hope Upwork can resolve this very soon; it is vital to finding work!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
90 of 91

But you can edit this on your profile page. Go to "languages" on the right-hand-side of your profile page and change your settings from "fluent" to "native/bilingual".  You should see four options "basic", "conversational", "fluent", "native/bilingual".

Edited to add: Sorry, I should have added that some time ago a client 'verified' my English (not particularly appreciated!), which became 'fluent' when all the rules and regs altered with the changeover from oDesk to Upwork.  I lost the 'verifcation', which I don't need, when I changed my settings from "fluent" to "native/bilingual".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS