🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Lots of SCAMMERS on this site... Be Careful!!...
Page options
esteegrier
Community Member

Lots of SCAMMERS on this site... Be Careful!!!

I started using this site a few weeks ago and had three clients try and scam me by sending me a fake check. After I had this issue, I only sent to proposals to accounts with verified payment but still yet again I had another person try and scam me. What is the deal? I had to get on a video conference to make sure my accounts was valid. Why aren't you following the same procedures with people posting job openings? Or at least asking for a social security number or background check to be able to be approved?

4 REPLIES 4
a_lipsey
Community Member

Because no one would post a job if you had to go through all that just to post a job. It's the freelancers job to vet whether or not a client would be the right fit for them. It would also be very expensive to staff a team to vet all the clients as you would like - which would then mean we as freelancers would have to pay more in our fees to Upwork, and essentially make less. 

There is ample information all over this forum and in the new-to-Upwork articles you should have read when you signed up on how to avoid scams - especially the fake check scam that you mentioned. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Estee, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. I understand where your frustration is coming from. I would like to note that we do have teams and systems that help identify red flags if a user or a job post is fraudulent. However, I would like to clarify that there are cases where we are unable to foresee a violation based on a client's job post itself or their initial communications with the freelancer. We usually receive flags when the interview stage has already commenced, where the client explicitly communicates this (ToS violation) with a freelancer. In cases like these, the teams involved take action immediately against the client's job post and account based on the report.

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
sajeduls
Community Member

Sorry to hear that, but you have to careful while applying for a job. I have started my UpWork journey 4 months ago and already worked for 30+ clients, all of them was very helpful and supportive. So, I would suggest apply for a job carefully.

I am new on upwork. I have started my UpWork journey 4 months ago and already 4 jobs done.all of the client was very helpful and supportive. So, I would suggest applying for a job carefully.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members