🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Low JSS and options
Page options
jackson-ms
Community Member

Low JSS and options

Hello everyone,

So my JSS hase been hovering at 62% for roughly 3 months. Despite getting 4-5 star reviews and at one point being a rising talent, its likely that I have received negative feedback in private and have not recieved any "clients who would recommend you" figures. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0158aaf6acb7fd5435 

On the suggestion on a previous post I have continue to bid for no jobs but it is unlikely that will get serious consideration at a 62 JSS. Do I have any options to remedy this? I am just better off deleting this account and starting from scratch?

7 REPLIES 7
a_lipsey
Community Member

Your profile is set to private so it's hard to tell if JSS is really what is affecting your chances getting a job. 

You potentially could address your low JSS in your profile indirectly with something like "I've been working on Upwork for a while, faced some challenges, and learned some invaluable lessons working with a diverse range of clients. I hope my clients will always be honest with me and help me serve them better." 

Thank you Amanda and I will incorporate that message into my profile.

2a05aa63
Community Member

You cannot start from scratch - you'll get banned.

Top two things that people would put a bad private review are:
1) Quality of the product
2) People skills 

Try upgrading them.

Does this mean that my best option is to continue to make strong bids for jobs, even with my JSS?

Kari J wrote:

Does this mean that my best option is to continue to make strong bids for jobs, even with my JSS?

I want to be clear, I'm not sure that messaging will work, but you can test it out and see if it has any effect. You're in a position where you may need to try a few different things. 

I think you should just keep applying for jobs and making sure you submit very strong proposals. Others here have suggested that you can raise JSS by taking some shorter term, smaller jobs, and, upon successful completion, ideally the client leaves you a good review. So it may be strategic to take some smaller/shorter span jobs to help offset the negative feedback.  However, as we all know, JSS isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would take a look at what jobs you're responding to, examine your process from beginning to end to see how you can improve it. Read the threads here on different things like cover letters, selecting the right jobs, avoiding the bad clients/scammers/never hire clients...try a number of different things. It's likely there are a combination of factors making it hard to get hired right now, so see all around where you can make adjustments. Examine your whole process - what kind of jobs are you bidding on, what kind of clients, how personalized and accurate and enticing is your proposal, and anything else that could potentially be tightened up. 

What many of the "Guru"s and even the Moderator suggests is do bunch of small jobs just to raise your JSS.  Sounds like exploit to me but that's what they suggested.

Brian C wrote:

Sounds like exploit to me but that's what they suggested.

Exploit? no one is forcing you to do anything - it is purely a suggestion to help you get, more feedback, quicker. You are more than free to just complete high paying jobs but naturally the process will likely take  longer.

Another thing worth thinking about is, if your JSS is low then there have clearly been some issues along the way, doing some smaller jobs might actually help you to refine those neccesary skills required to ensure all clients are 100% happy in both public AND private fedback.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths