🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Low JSS
Page options
mindsparkweb
Community Member

Low JSS

I don't do a ton of work here, but I apply to jobs every month. I recently had a client end a contract before completion, and as far as i can see, left no feedback.  that seemed to drop my score to a shameful 67%... i've read the threads on how this is calculated and when, but what I haven't seen is how to  improve my JSS as fast as it was reduced?

and how often are scores calculated after the 2 year mark? I really need to be more active here but now it seems I'll never get another job...

6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Neil, 

I hope you don't give up just yet. There are a lot of freelancers whose contracts didn't turn out well, but continued on, and excelled on their other contracts. 

Regarding your question about the Job Success Scorethe Upwork system takes snapshots of your six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is displayed on your profile and updated about every two weeks. You may also read this help article to understand why your score may have changed. 

I would also recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you get back on track. Good luck, Neil!

~ Avery
Upwork

How do I find out if someone posted private feedback?

In my case - I have only 1 contract that ended with no feedback and that
happened to be the last one.

And a quick follow up - are the averages determined by a straight number of
attempts or are projects weighted differently??

Neil H wrote:
How do I find out if someone posted private feedback?

In my case - I have only 1 contract that ended with no feedback and that
happened to be the last one.

Go to My Stats --> Clients who would recommend you. That's your private feedback. Every client has to leave both public and private feedback when closing the contract.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Neil H wrote:

I don't do a ton of work here, but I apply to jobs every month. I recently had a client end a contract before completion, and as far as i can see, left no feedback.  that seemed to drop my score to a shameful 67%... i've read the threads on how this is calculated and when, but what I haven't seen is how to  improve my JSS as fast as it was reduced?

and how often are scores calculated after the 2 year mark? I really need to be more active here but now it seems I'll never get another job...

What do you mean? You've had 5 contracts, and all cients left feedback. The one contract with bad feedback is énough to drag your JSS down, this client probably left really bad private feedback. 

JSS is calculated every 2 weeks. 

Martina P wrote:

Neil H wrote:

What do you mean? You've had 5 contracts, and all cients left feedback. The one contract with bad feedback is énough to drag your JSS down, this client probably left really bad private feedback. 

JSS is calculated every 2 weeks. 

I don't think he read the information he was referred to. 

petra_r
Community Member

Neil H wrote:

I recently had a client end a contract before completion, and as far as i can see, left no feedback.  that seemed to drop my score to a shameful 67%...

Was that a contract that ended without any payment? In that case the client did leave feedback (private) when closing the contract.

You had 6 contracts. One ended with poor feedback, one ended without payment (if that was the case) and presumably poor private feedback.

In super simple terms, 4 out of 6 is two thirds or (rounded up) 67%

Neil H wrote:

what I haven't seen is how to  improve my JSS as fast as it was reduced?

That is basic maths and how percentages work. (as long as you are above 50%)

Say you have a basket with 9 green apples. Your green apple percentage is 100%

You now add 1 red apples to your basket. Now your green apple percentage is 90%

One red apple causes a 10% drop

You now need another 10 green apple to raise your green apple percentage to 95%

10 green apples for a 5% rise.

The closer to 100% you get, the more it takes to get a rise.

That said, with so few outcomes overall, you could get your JSS to goup reasonably swiftly by doing a few smaller, easier projects you can do perfectly. Once you have enough outcomes in your 6 month window, the poor one from last year won't count anymore.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths