Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Paying Clients (real low!)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 7
I realized good jobs [clients] are getting harder to find. Then, I saw this: "SEO expert needed. 30 hours per week @ 20 cents per hour." Worse yet, the client information reads: "$0.20/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid 125 Hours." Where on the planet can these contractors afford the electricity to run a computer let alone the Internet access.... OK, maybe they take these jobs just to get a start as a freelancer.
Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 7
https://www.odesk.com/community/node/29575 There are great clients out there. Have a laugh. These ones will get the freelancers they deserve.
Highlighted
Md Zahedul A Member Since: Dec 7, 2013
3 of 7
Hi, i have a proposal to avoid these cheap activity on odesk or any other freelancing website : ***For clients: I think odesk should impose some standard of payment on work. should impose minimum level of payment n work based on weights of skill. this can kick ** to these people who insult the worker offering such low rates. ***For workers: odesk can apply some restriction and steps to verify skill then enable people to apply for job. this will through out people who have no skill but create noise in odesk and minimize the opportunity of truly skilled hard working people. * "Removed by admin"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 7
Lower, lower, lower, we have a winner, the lowest of the lowest: From Montreal, Canada: "SEO expert needed. 40 hours per week @ 10 cents per hour" Description: Need to hire an SEO expert asap. 40 hours a week @ 10 cents per hour need someone who can provide weekly rank tracker updates Social media marketing (able to attract likes and twitter follows) is a big plus Long term job opportunity MUST BE ABLE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!! Applicants: 50 and climbing; interviewing two (avg $0.11/hr).
Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Richard Anderson C Member Since: May 13, 2013
5 of 7
You should see the thread linked in Marcia's post. Someone was actually hired to work at a cent an hour.
Highlighted
Tulia G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
6 of 7

I was about feeling upset for a proposal of writing a medical article (scientific indexed journal level) for 9USD but after seeing the 10cent/hr just make me laugh.  I think freelancers also need to put themselves a minimum rate  for their work and respect it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

This is the contractor's responsibility.

It is not my client's responsibility to determine how much they need to pay me. It is my responsibility and on Upwork, only the contractor can decide whether or not to accept a job.

I have had plenty of clients send me hire offers that I did not accept. They have no way of forcing me to.

They also have no way of knowing what rate they should pay me unless I tell them. If I accept a job purely for fun at a lower rate, it is not their obligation to tell me I need to charge more because the rate I asked isn't enough to live on. No more than it would be their place to tell me I will need to accept a lower rate because I don't really need the money.

If you don't like low rates, don't work for low rates. Don't pin this on the clients.

Having said that, let me add that in most cases, a client is a fool for paying ridiculously low rates. He wastes his time and money hiring people who aren't professional. That mistake is on the client. The client should be responsible with his money and time, and with the resources of his company.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS