cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

skytrav1116
New Forum Member
Hello Everybody, How can it be that many Clients on oDesk offer to pay $1 per hour for any type of job? I do not understand why a Contractor would accept such a deal! How much did your computer or laptop cost you in the first place? Not 1 dollar!?! How about your efforts, your time, your understanding of the project and everything else that is required to complete even the most simple of projects? Let us all give a thought to such offers. Thanks
103 REPLIES 103
kimyswirl
New Forum Member
$1 per hour is not yet the worst. I've seen so many clients posting "We will consider below $0.50/( or worst) below $0.25 per hour. We don't care no matter how good your qualifications are, bid higher than $0.25 will automatically be rejected." And here are the contractors still applying to these kind of clients making their heads big. If only they'll boycott it so that clients will know that we're not that desperate. I'm new in oDesk too but I never stooped that low. Just what do those clients think of us?We're not their slaves. I hope contractors should ignore these offers. Bid below $0.25/hour is really too much.Also, I hope oDesk should already put a limit to rate requests of these clients.
i agree...
I second agree!
I saw a guy who is workking for $0.1 per hour and that is his profile rate. I think that is really dishonourable for any person,no matter how the job is easy,but you are selling one hour of your life and plus working hard for that money.
We must appeal to Odesk to set a limit of hourly rates to $1, and to stop arrogant clients to pay very cheap for contractor's hardwork.
...and working 4 hours a day at $.25 can buy you a meal...one meal...
Well, in Australia, this will get you a pencil eraser if you're lucky, not a meal.
it`s right though we are new on odesk but not there slaves.
Erm... Bidding bellow 3 $ is really too much. Bellow 2 $ is just a bad joke. And I'm really sad when I see someone's profile "earned 80 $ (with 2 $ per hour)".
Strangely (or conviniently) though, oDesk seems to be doing nothing about it. Other Markeplaces (won't name some) have very clear and much cooler costing system. oDesk is loosing facing without knowing it.

i agree with you, i hope in the client side also,

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
If you offer a kid candy or a new toy, they're gonna take it. Same with low paying clients, offer them nearly free work and they're gonna take it and with a smile on their face as well
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Yep they'll smile at first but will have severe headache after, due to poor quality of the finished job. Hired cheap expect cheap work too. Same with kids.Alright they take the new toy. If it's cheap they'll play with it until it's destroyed they won't care while for expensive toy well they play with it but treasure it.
The Bidding war has come to its lowest yet...Clients offer lower and lower rate per hour as time goes by...I saw someone working for $0.01!! Now I wonder how much Odesk will get from that contract...This is getting worse friends and If we cannot find a way to solve this problem...our work will just go down the drain
It really can't all be blamed on the clients. As Katrina pointed out, if they can find people to do it, then why not. This is the aged old battle between labor and industry. Industry insists on seeking out the lowest cost. Labor bows to the offers out of necessity - usually just the basic necessity to survive. "Doing what is right, does not always mean doing what you have the right to do!" - Johnny Akzam I have grown so sick of this site and its exchange of poor labor for what are many times 3rd level or 10th level middlemen. I actually went down today and joined my local Chamber of Commerce, as this site is no longer a reliable platform for new business. I refuse to lower my cost and keep the same high value. Besides, I can't. I live in the U.S. and still make about half what others charge for the same services. This site now caters to the volume, rather than the quality. it started doing so in April 2013, and had steadily declined since. I no longer have faith in the oDesk system for helping to grow a business.
devjet
Active
I have posted projects with low offer..... what I mean by that is that the provider should get a picture of the task and then provide a estimate. What happens if if my budget is 1000.- but the job could be done with 300.- then a provider will try to get as close to the max budget..... that is not in the interest of a client.
asajid
New Forum Member
While I understand that sometimes the client may not know the going rate for his job, I think posting a minimum amount still doesn't make sense. May be if that is the case you should mention in your job post that the budget is open for negotiation? Or maybe odesk should add this option in the job posting form so that the client can leave the budget "open" for people to bid?
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
[quote=Ayesha] Or maybe odesk should add this option in the job posting form so that the client can leave the budget "open" for people to bid?[/quote] That feature already exists. I post jobs and leave the hourly rate empty. Contractors are free to put in whatever hourly rate they want.
Yes, this option exists but still many people put in the description "only bids of $1.00 or less will be reviewed - higher bids will be rejected" Also they put low bids or say "Indian, Asian, Philippines ONLY" We are not complaining about the people who leave the rate open. We are complaining about the people who low ball the rate and expect quality for minimum rates.
I bid what I think the job is worth. Last I heard "est" ment estimated. Twice this week and once last week did this. Budget was 15.00, I bid 100.00, and it was soon followed by another bidder of 100.00. Last I looked someone had come in with a 50.00. Which was still reasonable for the job. If not a tad on the low side. Budget was 250.00, I bid 1,000.00 and it was soon followed by another of like bid. Do not think any of those two actually hired. Oh well, is my thought if did not get one. There are others out there.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS