cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

Highlighted
Nosheen F Member Since: Sep 11, 2009
91 of 104
Clients offer lower and lower budget as time goes by. They are demanding 3 pages PSD to Responsive HTML work in $30-40 while the rate in market for same work is at least $90-150 per page. Basically clients demand web development work in $2-3 per hour. It's not fair, we invest so many years in learning the technologies and now getting very low price. I am not applying for jobs anymore but sitting with empty hands. Now a days clients wants 4-5 days work in couple of dollars. This amounts meets the electricity and broadband bills only. What about our skills and time????
Highlighted
Naeemakhtar M Member Since: Sep 6, 2012
92 of 104
You are absolutely right and Odesk should do something about this. Look here a piece of Article I found today which says what four things Odesk can change for better user compliance.
Highlighted
Muhammad S Member Since: Jun 14, 2012
93 of 104
Who ask you to bid on that job.. there are alot of inflation over third world countries so let them work at $0.1 and you can bid for $10/hr Odesk give you all options.
Highlighted
Vladimir C Member Since: Aug 16, 2013
94 of 104
I saw a job offer that said "i will not consider bids over 0.025$ per hour"... I mean ***.. Id suggest, oDesk to set fixed price jobs to be not lower than 5$. Also the hourly job to not to be lower than 2 or 3$ per hour. Everything below is not human. Also it'd be good if bids to be restricted to be not lower than 30-40% from the actual budget of the client. There are just my suggestions. Cheers, Vladimir *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wesley S Member Since: Jan 22, 2012
95 of 104
Greetings, This is something that I think about the whole time. Most people think that with just $1 people will be able to survive. At the end of the day clients must take into consideration that we all have electricity bills that accumulate and they mostly want you for 40-60 hours a week. oDesk should control this and make a standard minimum, if at the end of the day your company is so small that cannot afford at least paying out a min of $3.00ph to outsource then the people that own the company should do it until they are able to afford an additional employee. It comes down to US too, if we don't bid on their post then they will have to increase the amount that they pay out. Those ridiculous "bids over .50 cents per hour" are just humiliating and really not worth even the time to write a cover letter nor read the job description for it.
Highlighted
Tracy M Member Since: Aug 28, 2013
96 of 104
As a relative newbie, I was perturbed and put off by some of the ridiculous prices clients wanted to pay (and the equally ridiculous bids put in by contractors). But I soon realised that I needed to stick to my guns and request my true worth. Although, admittedly, I did go lower for my first few jobs, but these lead to other jobs with much higher prices. When I see people demanding (and that's what they do) that only bids of 1 dollar, or less, will be accepted, then demand (again) that they need to be excellent writers, it does get my goat. But, I just think that it is their loss and they will most certainly get what they pay for - such a shame! As for contractors who bid low, as someone else said, it's relative to them: while it might be a pittance to us, it is probably worth a lot to them. I say that there is more than enough work to go round (I haven't stopped since I joined) and people just need to get on with what THEY are doing!
Highlighted
Carlos P Member Since: May 22, 2008
97 of 104
I just found this post: "...This is a work for hire! YOU WILL RETAIN NO RIGHTS TO THE ARTWORK!" And the "client" wants his/her book fully illustrated, with top quality artwork... for $150 (!!) and still wants to retain full rights?? oDesk... please, you'd better do something about this once and for all, or all you'll end up with will be starved-to-death, minimal quality contractors in Jupiter or something along those lines.
Highlighted
Shelley S Member Since: Jul 3, 2014
98 of 104
Most countries have a minimum wage in effect. When you hire contractors you should expect to pay more than minimum as the company is not paying taxes or benefits and can tell your "job" is done at anytime. Working for .50 or $1 is insulting to my time and skills.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
99 of 104
[quote=Shelley Sauter]Most countries have a minimum wage in effect. When you hire contractors you should expect to pay more than minimum as the company is not paying taxes or benefits and can tell your "job" is done at anytime. Working for .50 or $1 is insulting to my time and skills.[/quote] So you bring up a post that is 8 months ago? On top of that, you apply for jobs that are paying less than 5.00 an hour. I saw one there that was paying less 4.00 that you applied for. Get real. There is no minimum wage for free lance contractors, never has been, never will.
Highlighted
Eric R Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
100 of 104

As a video producer and animator, I am constantly faced with potential clients that pay next to nothing for video production.  Some jobs offer $10 budgets!  It's absurd!  My animations are reasonably intricate and take hours to build.  Educating clients first and foremost is the key.  It would also help if other freelancers would simply not indulge companies that pay offensively low rates for services.  Our time is valueable and our skills are relevant!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS