Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
21 of 104
I bid what I think the job is worth. Last I heard "est" ment estimated. Twice this week and once last week did this. Budget was 15.00, I bid 100.00, and it was soon followed by another bidder of 100.00. Last I looked someone had come in with a 50.00. Which was still reasonable for the job. If not a tad on the low side. Budget was 250.00, I bid 1,000.00 and it was soon followed by another of like bid. Do not think any of those two actually hired. Oh well, is my thought if did not get one. There are others out there.
Highlighted
Toni B Member Since: May 7, 2010
22 of 104
Ok, I understand that someone out there may be able to say they can do the job for $300 when your budget is $1000 and financially you are thinking Whew Who! I just saved a few bucks, but I have had many clients hire that cheap person only to realize that "you get what you pay for" and then turn around and have to pay me to fix their mistakes, errors, etc. and continue on with the work. So now you have possibly paid me my $1000 + the previous low bid $300 making your total cost $1300 which in the end exceeds your budget. Honestly too it's not the fixed price jobs so much that bother me but the hourly jobs. Why is it ok to offer $1.00 per hour for work that it is required to have some type of higher education (perhaps a BS, BA, MBA, certification or license) Really you expect someone who spent $30,000 + on their education to foot the bill for the equipment/service required to work for you (internet, PC, smartphone, tablet, software, etc.) as a contractor - perform quality work for you and then only receive $1.00 (sometimes less) per hour to work? I think not!
Highlighted
Herbert M Member Since: Nov 14, 2010
23 of 104
We are in a very same perspective of a problem that i fear might destroy the industry of Outsourcing in the Future. Many clients and new-comer contractors now flood Odesk with unreasonably very low rates, imagine how that would encourage other clients to choose very low bidding contractors and disregard other competitive and good freelancers like you? Don't you think that would kill your earnings and others' as like you? There are countries where $1 exchange rate is big enough and there are those places that this isn't fair as a payment to your labor. I couldn't imagine how some contractors and clients agree with .10, .30 and .50 rates for some labor, this is killing other contractors and those greedy and arrogant clients seize of the opportunity. WE MUST STOP THIS OUTRAGE...... WE CONTRACTORS MUST BE AS ONE TO APPEAL TO ODESK REGARDING THIS ISSUE. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE IF YOU FORWARD THIS MESSAGE AND IDEA TO EVERY OTHER FREELANCERS HERE IN ODESK THAT YOU KNOW? "CONTRACTORS SHOULD NOT DIVE TO VERY LOW RATES ACCORDING TO CLIENTS WILL. I THINK IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT WE PUT OUR MINIMUM LIMIT TO $1 (One Dollar). IT IS PLAIN TO SEE THAT IF WE LET THIS MADNESS CONTINUE THEN SURELY, QUALITY FREELANCERS LIKE YOU AND THE REST WILL LIKELY TO LEAVE THIS INDUSTRY WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY DESTROY THE OUTSOURCING, AND EVEN DESTROY ODESK ITSELF. IN SHORT, . . I AM ASKING TO YOU ENLIGHTEN OTHER CONTRACTORS AND IF POSSIBLE START AN ORGANIZATION OF CONTRACTORS TO ASK ODESK TO LIMIT THE BID TO AT LEAST $1 OR HIGHER AND FORBID CLIENTS TO POST RATES LOWER THAN I MENTIONED. WITH THIS MOVE, I CAN SAFELY SAY THAT I CAN ESTABLISH MY CAREER IN THIS FIELD WITH GUARANTEE AND CONTENT THAT MY LABOR AND SKILLS IS FAIRLY COMPENSATED AS THE REST OF FREELANCERS ONLY NEED TO SURVIVE THE LIFE THEY ARE LIVING. FREELANCERS DON'T HAVE BENEFITS, WE DON'T HAVE BONUS, IF EVER THERE IS, DEFINITELY VERY LOW AND SELDOM. THESE CLIENTS ALREADY HAVE SAVED MILLIONS IN THEIR SPENDING, SO WHY WOULD THEY SQUEEZE UP EVERY CONTRACTOR THEY MEET HERE ONLINE? THAT IS OBVIOUSLY UNFAIR, RIGHT?.. PLEASE HELP ME REACH ODESK AND LET THEM REALIZE THIS. IF THIS PROBLEM IS HELPED, IT’S GOING TO BE A WIN-WIN SITUATION FOR US CONTRACTORS, THE ODESK AND THE CLIENTS... LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. . . THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.
Highlighted
Cate B Member Since: Sep 1, 2011
24 of 104
I'm thinking that any freelancer that needs an organization to tell them that working for $1 is too cheap -- doesn't need to be a freelancer. If I -- as a professional with an extensive portfolio -- can't figure that out on my own, then I need to go back to working in fast food or whatever I did before I started freelancing. That is a "no-brainer." Its all a matter of not settling for those types of jobs ....don't put in for them, don't haggle, and most importantly DON'T accept them if they're offered.
Highlighted
Cherry Vic P Member Since: Nov 29, 2010
25 of 104
Freelancing is all about working on projects that you feel is worth your time, aligned with your interests, or pays your bills. If it doesn't qualify any of the above, then why bother?
Highlighted
Susan B Member Since: Jun 4, 2011
26 of 104
I agree with you. No one is forcing us to accept these ridiculously low rates. I figure $1 per hour is a low price. You can write approx. 500 words an hour which equals of course to $1 per 500 words. I am disgusted with the amounts offered. I am worth much more than that and will never accept what is below my abilities. Sue
Highlighted
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
27 of 104
I stopped reading when I saw the first of the Caps Lock line. Just got off work, please care for our eyes & nerves and stop shouting.
Highlighted
Daniel C Member Since: Jan 6, 2009
28 of 104
Hi, I've been working with clients on oDesk since 2008. From experience, the clients who pay decently are from North America, Australia, South-East Asia and the UK. The rest - my God, the less said the better. ALWAYS ALWAYS check where the employer is located and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. I might be Indian but I won't accept jobs at a throwaway price. I've been a writer since 2005 and some of these prices are truly insulting for any self-respecting professional. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do... and I doubt oDesk can do anything either if contractors agree to lesser prices! We are stuck... Smiley Sad Thanks, Dan
Highlighted
Luningning T Member Since: Jan 13, 2009
29 of 104
That is true! Problem is some are accepting these lower rates that is why more and more clients are offering unjustifiable rates! Just think of your electricity bills!
Highlighted
Sharif u Member Since: May 31, 2011
30 of 104
I am really agree with your point.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS