Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
31 of 104
I really doubt the ones that this is directed out come to the forums. Much less read English well enough to comprehend what is being said.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
32 of 104
I just wanted to throw in one more bit of something to think about. Have you ever noticed that the people who raise hell about rate limits are most of the time the same people who are struggling? Have you ever noticed that the people who make good money here don't? Consider for a moment...why? There is a VERY good reason for it. I'll give a hint.. it's NOT only about skills and experience. If you can't figure that out on your own, then you are still following. If you want to be successful at any business - you MUST become a leader. oDesk is NOT an employment board, nor is any other freelance site. It's a platform for small businesses to connect. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if I come across as harsh.. but seriously, people need to understand what this place is and what it takes to earn a living they are happy with. There are no handouts here. You need to go slaughter your own chickens if you want to eat around here. Stop asking other people to do it for you! Happy hunting!
Highlighted
Larrisse N Member Since: Sep 11, 2011
33 of 104
Your recent contracts are related to marketing skills. If there were one million global contractors offering the exact same skill sets as you, many in the third world while you live in the first world, you would be aghast at the number of clients who will not consider you because your rate is 'too high'. Now, imagine the position of first worlders in the oversaturated data-entry/administrative field, trying to compete with third worlders and earn a living wage -- not Xbox money -- doing it. Until those first worlders develop a network of first world clients willing to refer them to other people, it's going to be hard going. They have to wade through a sea of folks dazzled by third worlders willing to work for pennies, though. Very tough going. Many months ago, Margaret P. explained that it was necessary to develop new skill sets if one wanted to succeed as a contractor in a very competitive marketplace. She was absolutely right, even though I did not agree with the ultimate thrust of her argument. But no one is asking anyone to slaughter chickens for them. They are asking clients to do the honorable thing and follow oDesk's *own* guidelines regarding remuneration.
Highlighted
Sana M Member Since: Nov 16, 2011
34 of 104
I agree that many contractors in the third world countries are charging less which demoralizes other contractors relating to any other parts of the world. But to put every egg in one basket is not a good idea. I have seen many first world contractors bidding like they have never seen $1 before but just because they are 'Native' English speakers with low rates gets them the job. People like us are competing with such low ballers on everyday basis which really makes me think why the hell I am here... you know.. I am not a Native English Speaker and will never accept $1 for 500 words kind of ridiculousness. It's way too frustrating to see such clients and contractors actively participating on such sites where there are great professionals ready to serve on the spot..
Highlighted
Balaji V Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
35 of 104
I think there are enough "first worlders" who bid far lower than me. I went to a good univ at Baltimore and my expenses here in the "third world" are no lower than what I spent in Seattle or Baltimore. So, I expect and get the wages I would get if I were in the first world. So, the problem is not with third world or first world, but it is a matter of desperation to get a job. Third world is not an endless pool of cheap labor and we are already finding that the number of qualified professionals are drying out. Regardless of whether you are in first world or fourth world or in Mordor, you have got to have the business skills and the professional skills to succeed in the freelancer world.
Highlighted
36 of 104
Jean, these clients are looking for those contractors who can slave themselves up to par excellence. The jobs offered by $1 clients are not meant for you, me and the rest of the other contractors who like to be 'paid' for their services. You are talking about $1 huh? I have seen a contractor doing a $0.10 job/per hour right now! I would like appeal to ODesk to make atleast $5 a minimum hourly wage and fixed jobs should be atleast $25 per project. In the recession period, my husband had to come back from Australia and while I was working in a bank. Then came my son and I chose to sit at home. I want to give the best to my child by giving him top class education and top level upbringing like most of us want to give their children. Although my child is in the top school over here in Pakistan with everything spectacular provided to him but I want to move ahead by making a decent living at home. I am still learning oDesk and I would like to explore more options on the internet but I cannot find the same atmosphere elsewhere which makes me come back to oDesk - again and again. We are planning to move to another country but I don't know how will I manage over there since there are very little decent jobs to choose over here. If I am sounding desparate then yes I am since I have studied in one of the best UK universities, gained experience in some of the best banks over here but still I have to keep my eyes open to literally 'search' for good paying oDesk jobs. The jobs offer unrealistic budgets. Suppose the job offers $1000 and says that the client needs $1 per 500 words and the long term opportunity nonsense go with it. Again the most used 'Escrow System' is missing on this website. Why is it so hard to implement such an important part of freelance business? The clients should have their 'Payments Verified' before posting their job. I don't think oDesk needs further advertising to explain that this website is not a spam. Around 200% increase in the grocery and medicine prices have been increased in this country. Electricity bills are increased on annual basis over here. Me and my husband are managing it really well with some support from oDesk but I know it will not continue this way in near future due to oDesk's poor customer support. Inorder to maintain the integrity of this platform, I would sincerely like request on behalf of other contractors to kindly raise the bar and bring some value added services to the members of the oDesk community. The purpose of these threads is not to humiliate oDesk nor to give one a severe blowjob. We are here to help each other by competing and expanding oDesk business. It is high time oDesk starts to take some actions regarding some legit concerns proposed by it's members.
Highlighted
Balaji V Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
37 of 104
Started the Twitter campaign - #noescrowatodesk - I see that you (or somebody else) already has a test tweet already.
Highlighted
John P Member Since: Aug 17, 2011
38 of 104
The only thing I can conclude is that a lot of people have found out that you can agree on a low price and make most of the money in side deals that are off the system. The motive is to save paying the commission to Odesk. Nothing else makes sense to me. The internet is full of dishonest people so why should this place be any different. What we see here in pricing is probably only the tip of the money flow.
Highlighted
Nilo C Member Since: Jan 14, 2011
39 of 104
As long as there are ***removed by admin*** out there who would work for peanuts, then clients will plague odesk asking for these rates.
Highlighted
40 of 104
^ | ^ | Is this allowed oDesk? I have 4 blogs and 1 website that I would like to promote any day. The other person on Sourya's thread was promoting her charity relating website. Over here, this guy is advertising as well. Allowed or not allowed?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS