cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
41 of 104
I have never been so appalled at all the low-ball offers clients ask for our hard work. I see it just about every time I come to look for work on here. Someone wanted two illustrated book covers, all the rights and everything, for SEVEN dollars!! It took all I could muster to just stew in my own thoughts and not try to educate the client about why our work is worth more than that. I don't know about everyone else, but 7$ isn't going to pay any of my bills!! There was another client who wanted an entire children's book, and complete transfer of rights, for $25. From what I was reading from the others who already commented, those aren't even the lowest prices. I can't believe someone is willing to work for 0.01 an hour!! Or even a dollar an hour! Honestly, it is contractors who accept all these low ball offers which make it that much harder for our entire industry to be taken seriously. It isn't just the clients at fault. The more the see professionals working for so little, the more they are going to think it is acceptable. /end rant. Haha.
cateb
Cate B Member Since: Sep 1, 2011
42 of 104
You said, "The more (they) see professionals working for so little, the more they are going to think it is acceptable." What you are seeing are not "professionals" working for so little, regardless of their portfolios and regardless of where they are located. What you are seeing are desperate people out to make some money who have no clue what they're worth in the marketplace and don't care to find out. THOSE people are not professionals.
l_miguez
Ace Contributor
Linda M Member Since: Sep 18, 2011
43 of 104
I agree with Cate. Those are not professionals and companies that low ball often get what they deserve. I bid on some educational activities two days ago. Budget was $50, a bit on the low side but it was only a few worksheets/activities... or so they said. Anyways, they gave the job away to a recent grad from high school who bid $9!!! I was like... wtf! ('scuse my language...) It's not the fact that a high school grad is doing the work, the thing was it went for $9. It takes me a least 2 to 3 hours to design a proper activity - that's one of the reasons teachers complain about preparing classes - it takes forever sometimes. People have no idea of what some jobs entitle, bid on anything, and this I just shake my head at the silliness (stupidity?) of it all.
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
44 of 104
That is just ridiculous...! With such a low offer like that $9 offer, you have to wonder how hard the contractor would be willing to work. The client could very well end up having to come back and offer the job again.
mtaboclaon
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
45 of 104
Yup. You will also find them in the forums, complaining about contractors who submitted sub-par or plagiarized work, or running away with their money.
l_miguez
Ace Contributor
Linda M Member Since: Sep 18, 2011
46 of 104
Ahh, yes... the wonder whiners whinging about "Why they can't find decent workers who will work for whimsical wages..." (I am feeling poetic today! LOL) ... Well, if they didn't take the second lowest bidder, (because we all know how they swear that they don't hire the lowest! 😉 ) they might actually find somebody decent. I refuse to believe most people on here are bad workers, what I do find is that lately oDesk's screening process must have been thrown out the window... I remember that I had to send in a copy of my ID, a bill in my name, etc - and I find it incredible that there are so many scammers on board when I had to go through hoops to sign up. Seems a bit unfair, do they not screen the people who are hiring???
cateb
47 of 104
"Seems a bit unfair, do they not screen the people who are hiring???" .....NO.
cateb
48 of 104
I had a client who wanted me to lower my rates to write for his website. When I refused, his response was, "oh well...I'll get back to you when I need rewrites." What kind of idiot goes into a job KNOWING they're going to have to pay twice for good material?! That one. ****and I don't do "rewrites" unless its on my own stuff.
doreenmartel
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
49 of 104
I used to have a "client" that hated to pay me "so much" for hourly writing. His theory was that there were plenty of writers who could do it for at least 1/2 of what I was charging. I agreed with him that he *could* get the work done for 50% less but the work may not be "up to his standards". He "wanted to see". I let him. When he came back to me 3 weeks later and asked me to "tweak and edit" what he paid 50% less for, I told him what my rate was - he informed me that was 50% higher than my writing rate. I explained that my writing rates and editing rates were completely different as they required different skills. He then hired me at my "usual" rate to do his writing. End of problem.
cateb
50 of 104
Thanks, Doreen. I'll have to remember that if he contacts me again. :)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS