Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Payment Offer on ODesk by Clients

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Louis D Member Since: Sep 27, 2010
71 of 104
This is the perfect example of a common mentality at the moment, perfectly encapsulated. The first job in Graphic Design section at the moment of posting. "Graphic Design SUPERSTARS ONLY, We have hired 7 different graphic designers in the last two weeks and have been VERY disappointed. In all cases, they had what looked like good portfolios, but when we actually put them on real projects they're work was substandard, and completely insufficient to meet our demands. We have a full time position available for a TOP QUALITY graphic designer..." So you look down at the history and see they are paying graphic designers at $2/3 an hour. They say they have hired 7 different graphic designers in the last two weeks and have been disappointed, but instead of looking at the rates they are paying and who that's clearly attracting they're just throwing it out there again and again and again in the hope that something will stick. It's just not clicking that if they want their TOP QUALITY SUPERSTAR they're going to have to pay for it. Why after 7 designers is that not clicking? Barking things like "If you are not good enough to create logos that can compete with these national brands, then DO NOT apply" doesn't exactly reel the talent in either. "If a US Fortune 500 company wouldn't use it, it's not for us either." Yes, but a US fortune 500 company would be paying literally thousands for branding and their product packaging design. What makes you think you can get that kind of quality for $2 an hour? It's not the low rates that bug me so much as it is the expectation that hiring that low will get you "US Fortune 500" quality. If you hire low that's fine but at least adjust your expectations.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
72 of 104
Bottom Line I feel, that Some if not Most Client fail to really grasp the real meaning of Cost Effectiveness and Cost Efficiency and Some would simply would try to take advantage of People's Desperation to Earn. Problem is, more often than not when they think they got the long end, they actually are holding the short end, got coned by a worker who are simply "DRESSED NICE". Like a book with great Cover, but actually blank pages inside. Then they come to the forum to complain...... That goes the same to some Contractors who "THINKS" they know what they are supposed to do
Highlighted
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 10, 2013
73 of 104
Why are they asking for tax information in order for me to withdraw money? I was told I had to fill out a profile to apply for a job?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
74 of 104
[quote=Ryan Cornelius]Why are they asking for tax information in order for me to withdraw money? I was told I had to fill out a profile to apply for a job?[/quote] So they can let the government know you have earned money. Do you not pay taxes?
Highlighted
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
75 of 104
[quote=Ryan Cornelius]Why are they asking for tax information in order for me to withdraw money? I was told I had to fill out a profile to apply for a job?[/quote] Ryan welcome to oDesk. I think you might have messed up on your English skills, one is the lowest while 5 is the highest. I would recommend rewriting your overview especially if you are planning on applying for writing assignments. Also, PLEASE increase your rate -- don't insult your own intelligence by being willing to work for such a crappy rate. I would also suggest you read Contractors Learning Center and take some time to read through some of the forum threads about rates/profiles and how to land an assignment on oDesk. Good luck! Doreen
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
76 of 104
Welcome aboard, and no this is not a cruise line. As mentioned before, change your English to 5/5 and get your rate on up there. As note do not lower it to get that first job. Show you deserve more in your Overview. What you have in your overview really needs to be reworded and put in Other Experience with a title of Personal Project or something similar. Your Overview needs to be directed at the Client stating what you have to offer them. My three cents worth. well, just noticed he posted 7 days ago. wonder if he will be back.
Highlighted
Rodolf S Member Since: Jul 5, 2010
77 of 104
mostly ***country accept $0.25 rate per hour and it is not fair, dont tell me, we can buy foods,pay our bills for that rate, my god, why odesk admin didnt change the minimu wages here in odesk? how can we report those client that posting job for $0.50 per hour..? *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
78 of 104
Not up to oDesk. You are your own business, to run yourself, to apply/accept jobs that pay what you request/require, to have and to hold, forever and henceforth. Don't like the rate, don't apply. It's that simple. Or you can still apply with the rate that you think you deserve. Up to you.
Highlighted
Herbert M Member Since: Nov 14, 2010
79 of 104
I have seen other online workplace as competitive as Odesk and they have minimum bid of $10. Why can't Odesk operators set a limit to bidding prices? To Odesk management and some contractors. Do you think $2 is fine? No it is not, what's worst is that there are new contractors accepting less than a dollar rate. How can this be happening? you guys are killing the industry! PLEASE MAKE NOTICE OF MY COMMENT AND LET IT BE HEARD BY ODESK AND EVERYONE.. "WE NEED A BIDDING LIMIT of NO LESS THAN $1 or $2....."
Highlighted
Doreen M Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
80 of 104
[quote=Herbert Marzon]I have seen other online workplace as competitive as Odesk and they have minimum bid of $10. Why can't Odesk operators set a limit to bidding prices? To Odesk management and some contractors. Do you think $2 is fine? No it is not, what's worst is that there are new contractors accepting less than a dollar rate. How can this be happening? you guys are killing the industry! PLEASE MAKE NOTICE OF MY COMMENT AND LET IT BE HEARD BY ODESK AND EVERYONE.. "WE NEED A BIDDING LIMIT of NO LESS THAN $1 or $2....."[/quote] Clients are not supposed to offer less than $3 for an assignment. This is largely ignored. Unfortunately, if contractors are willing to work for pennies an hour you can't stop them. Please it's oDesk not Odesk (sorry I'm uncertain why that annoys me so much) Smiley Happy
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS