Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Low budget projects and couple more questions

Highlighted
Milos M Member Since: Jan 17, 2016
1 of 11

Hi everyone,

First: When i browse through the upwork jobs and when I see mark $$$, budgets are less than $150? Example is here: http://prntscr.com/9rali9

This is for Design & Creative category. Also, I often see logo jobs less than $20. There was $10, even $5. On Elance, this wasn't a case. Is this legit here on upwork?

Second:  (Perhaps you saw it many times) How you get invites? On Elance, I figured out when you complete some project, you get few invites. Is it same and here?

and Third: Absolutely love new way of uploading projects with multiple images in it. But there is one problem: Is there any option when uploading files to portfolio to reorder them? For now i find only deleting all images uploaded and to reupload in a row, one by one. If there is any option for this and I don't see it, please help me. If not, where I can send a proposal for this to Upwork team? It would be good to be sort of the button.

Thanks,
Milos

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

re: "How you get invites?"

You get invites by being awesome.

Also, you get invites by offering something that people want, but which there isn't an ample supply of.

My profile is extremely specialized in two ways:

a) I emphasize specialization and expertise in a skill that is much in demand, but which few other people specialize in

b) I offer my skills at a rarefied level.

I receive quality, high-paying invitations every week. I turn down nearly all of them because I simply don't have time to do all the work that is offered to me.

Milos: I think your portfolio and overall profile page is impressive. Unfortunately, you work in a very competitive field and relying on invitations may simply not be practical for you. Not because you have done anything wrong, but simply because there may be no technological way for clients who are imagining the distinctive style and quality you offer to translate their feelings into a search that pops your profile up at the top of a list.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 11

Hi Preston,

Thank you for your time giving me a prompt and specific reply, and your kind words, I appreciate it.

Good point. I haven't think about that. Perhaps I could improve tags.

While I was on Elance, invites were crowding my inbox. When I have enough work to do, I just turn them off. When I finish with the current work I get back to receive those invites and turn them on. I often chose what I want to work, but here on upwork, I couldn't have a chance to see how it works.

Thanks again

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

Invites seem to dwindle a bit when you load up on work. It's not like Elance where they flood you. The good part of it is that my invites here are much better targetted than the ones I got on Elance.

They say it's personalized. I get lots of invites Monday morning, which is cool for me because I can load up on work for the week. I've noticed they slow down when you have too many open contracts, which I suppose makes sense although if a great customer came around, I'd make time. I guess they don't see it that way, but it's speculation on my part.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
5 of 11

@Jennifer M wrote:

[…] I've noticed they slow down when you have too many open contracts […].

Humm... Haven't noticed that myself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 11

Maybe it's coincidence. Last time I went through and closed about 5 contracts, the next Monday I got a bunch of invites. I am closing more now, so let's see if it's just a stroke of luck. Smiley Happy

7 of 11

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks on your reply.
I often chose what to work, so I was wondering how to get these invites on here. I agree with you that on Elance it was a flooding, but as long as I find something interesting from these, I like to make arrangements Smiley Happy Now I miss them here.

Thanks again

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 11

Petra made me look at your profile and now I want beer. Smiley Tongue

How long have you been here? It took me a couple of months before I started getting invites after I merged. I don't think it's a 1-1 relation between Elance and Upwork, so I think their algorithms have to figure out our skills. Once I started gaining traction in my area of expertise, the invites started coming.

Highlighted
9 of 11

On upwork I think I merged 3+ months ago, not realy sure. I haven't browsing for projects on Upwork in this time period until last night. Before Elance, I haven't used oDesk. As long as I could stay on Elance, I used it - just because I got used to it and at that time (and still) looks like a more simplier platform to use, IMO. But hey, there is a time I will get used to it Smiley Happy

The stuff I like about Upwork is improved portfolio uploader.
Perhaps I think I need to get/complete at least one job to get coming these invites.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 11

I have nothing useful to add I'm afraid, I just wanted to quickly say that I think your work is absolutely awesome and I am not surprized you keep winning awards.

It's on a different level.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS