🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Low exchange rate
Page options
Community Member

Low exchange rate

Under the Account currency head, in the Get paid section, the rate mentioned by upwork is way below the inter-bank rate in my country.

You can see in the attached picture the mentioned rate is 152.4 PKR per USD.
Whereas the current interbank rate is 159.9 PKR per USD.

Why is upwork showing reduced rate?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

We understand your frustration, Majid.

Unfortunately, the difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

We understand your frustration, Majid.

Unfortunately, the difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Having the same issue, the exchange rate from USD to RON is lower that in my country and i cant transfer USD without conversion even though i created a bank account in USD, why is that, i have the option for RON and EUR but not USD.

Hi Daria,

When direct to local bank account is the disbursement method, then the funds are converted automatically into your local currency. You can check out this article for more information about fees and timing associated with the direct to local bank method.

You may wish to learn about the Wire Transfer method which allows U.S. dollar wire transfer.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. Please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks for blocking my account for asking a question, either unblock my account or I’m done with this garbage website.

Hi Daria,

I checked, and the team has reached out to you directly regarding your account status. Please check this ticket number: 30446891 and kindly follow the instruction provided by our team to complete the verification process they requested from you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Bojan

I am not satisfied with your reply. Why it is always 2 Rupee per dollar less than current Price. What is formula? If it is based on previous two days price then sometime it should be higher than current price. But it is always 2 Rupee lesser and $0.99 charged as conversion fee. There should be transperancy.

Hi Dinesh,

Arjay here stepping in for Bojan. For Direct to Local Bank transactions, the currency conversion will be performed by Upwork's banking partner at the time the funds are sent to you. While it's not possible to show the real-time conversion rate, you can check the last exchange rate used by Upwork's banking partner on the manual withdrawal form. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
zahidmehmood2
Community Member

Exchange rate is way too low on upwork if we compare with even international exchange rates like XE.com

Zahid M wrote:
Exchange rate is way too low on upwork if we compare with even international exchange rates like XE.com

That is not a reasonal thing to compare, because that's the mid-market rate. Banks do not give retail customers the mid market rate, as they would lose money that way. Banks make money on currency exchange and that s nothing Upwork has any control over

b2c7d1d9
Community Member

i am getting a 10pkr difference / $1 😞

And now a day its even more. A friend of mine on Upwork got almost 13pkr /$ lesser than the interbank rate. The usd rate won't change or fluctuate this much on day to day basis. This is a serious issue and upwork has to look into it as the hard earned money of the freelancers is deducted without any proper clarification

Wells Fargo Bank used to be Upwork bank.  They still may be.  They are the worst bank to convert money.  Also, it is country dependent

Stable the country the spread is small.

Currency buying and selling is a business.

84ddd22b
Community Member

Yes like of majid

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths