Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low payment jobs

hoogendoorn-mari
Marinus H Member Since: Jan 18, 2014
1 of 37

Hi all,

I have been working on Elance and Upwork for a number of years and see/ saw on a regular basis improvement stories from the Upwork management.

When you score well you become a featured, first class (or what it is called) freelancer and are supposed to receive better paid jobs.

Yet, I only see about 95% of all jobs posted paying less than $2.00 per hour.

I write this because yesterday some company asked me, (I think you are overqualified, but still urge you) to work for 0.50 cent per hour. Upsetting? It was to me.

A pre-school child can see how long it takes to complete a certain task, I mean 10.000 words, plagiarisme free with extensive research, (but I have long term assigments for the right candidate) for $15.00 is aboluteley out of this world.

Upwork must set a minimum wage their "workers" are supposed to work for. If not many of us freelancers will and should close their accounts and find other means of freelance work.

I do culinary work and just a few days ago I asked a client who wanted 50 recipes with photography for $75.00, if $1.50 minus 10% Upwork fee per recipe included ingredient cost, rent, petrol, internet, gas, electricity and something for me. Obviously no reply.

These kind of posts are ridiculous inappropriate and uncalled for. Take them out before posting Upwork, unless you think that your workforce should just accept what is posted.

Maybe you, fellow freelancers, can share your thoughts also, so we can maybe work towards getting what we deserve

Marinus Hoogendoorn 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 37

Blame the freelancers who bid so low, thus teaching the clients that they can get the work for next to nothing.

you wrote 200 recipes for $ 100

what message do you think you sent to the client? Or anyone looking at your profile?

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Rather than trying to get it fixed for you, which is pretty difficult, fix it yourself by not giving your work away.....

hoogendoorn-mari
Marinus H Member Since: Jan 18, 2014
3 of 37

Appreciate your reply,

I did not write 200 recipes for $100, the client did as feed back in error.

tarpindersingh
Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 37

Actually the merger has resulted in chaos.  Hope it will get sorted sooner.

codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
5 of 37

Thanks for raising this topic

As Petra R said, we need to blame it on freelancers that bid very low on projects.

This happens mostly on the side of writers, you will see most of them bidding on a job of $1 per 10,000 words, well I won't blame those people, they are just desperate and confuse.

How can I spend money for Internet connection, waste my very and highly precious time, research online, stress my hands, and someone will be pay me nothing?

I don't have time for all these little or nothing projects.

Sometimes you see most of these clients telling freelancers to write 10,000 words for $1 and receive 5 star feedback.

It's really hard finding good job with a good payment on Upwork, that's why I stopped applying for job, and Upwork had my rising talent badge removed, upon I have three active projects that are worth thousands, why should I apply for more jobs?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 37

@Emmanuel S wrote:

Thanks for raising this topic

As Petra R said, we need to blame it on freelancers that bid very low on projects.

This happens mostly on the side of writers, you will see most of them bidding on a job of $1 per 10,000 words, well I won't blame those people, they are just desperate and confuse.

How can I spend money for Internet connection, waste my very and highly precious time, research online, stress my hands, and someone will be pay me nothing?

I don't have time for all these little or nothing projects.

Sometimes you see most of these clients telling freelancers to write 10,000 words for $1 and receive 5 star feedback.

It's really hard finding good job with a good payment on Upwork, that's why I stopped applying for job, and Upwork had my rising talent badge removed, upon I have three active projects that are worth thousands, why should I apply for more jobs?

I have great difficulty understanding why we need to "blame" anyone. Why not leave others to do as they please and only accept the jobs that pay a rate you consider reasonable?

I've been hearing that writers who were willing to write for free or for pennies were going to put the rest of us out of business for at least fifteen years.  

b_lemus
Bernardo L Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
7 of 37

These are usually underqualified freelancers, but I wish we could create a community that shames people posting unhuman rates, 3$ per hour is not enough for anyone with some qualification.

abdulrazaq89
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
8 of 37

Dear Marinus, 

There is no doubt that you raised an important question here. I appreciate it. 

Solution:

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

Am I right?

Best Regards

Abdulrazaq

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 37

"Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. "

"I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words."

lol

alfiti
A. S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
10 of 37

What is so funny,  Jennifer M? I don´t get it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS