Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Low payment jobs

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
11 of 37

@Abdul R wrote:

Dear Marinus, 

 

There is no doubt that you raised an important question here. I appreciate it. 

 

Solution:

 

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

 

Am I right?

 

Best Regards

 

Abdulrazaq


Dear Abdul,

 

This makes you part of the problem. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 37

@Joachim M wrote:

@Abdul R wrote:

Dear Marinus, 

 

There is no doubt that you raised an important question here. I appreciate it. 

 

Solution:

 

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

 

Am I right?

 

Best Regards

 

Abdulrazaq


Dear Abdul,

 

This makes you part of the problem. 



@Joachim M wrote:

@Abdul R wrote:

Dear Marinus, 

 

There is no doubt that you raised an important question here. I appreciate it. 

 

Solution:

 

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

 

Am I right?

 

Best Regards

 

Abdulrazaq


Dear Abdul,

 

This makes you part of the problem. 


How is Abdul "part of the problem" because he sticks to a minimum pay rate?
 

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
13 of 37

@Tiffany S wrote:

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

 

Am I right?

 

Best Regards

 

Abdulrazaq


Dear Abdul,

 

This makes you part of the problem. 


How is Abdul "part of the problem" because he sticks to a minimum pay rate?
 


 Tiffany, because with $5 he is low-balling too. Frankly, I personally don't care, I simply don't bid on such low priced jobs and always hope that the client gets what he paid for. In translations most clients often never even realise it until they have a translation proofread or their customers complain e.g. about manuals. I've just experienced this with a client in China. Gave me a manual to translate from English into German but already the translation from Chinese into English was so bad, that some paragraphs didn't make sense at all. In the end we worked the meaning out and I suggested them to pay more for better translators.

This widget could not be displayed.
14 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Joachim M wrote:

 Tiffany, because with $5 he is low-balling too. Frankly, I personally don't care, I simply don't bid on such low priced jobs and always hope that the client gets what he paid for. In translations most clients often never even realise it until they have a translation proofread or their customers complain e.g. about manuals. I've just experienced this with a client in China. Gave me a manual to translate from English into German but already the translation from Chinese into English was so bad, that some paragraphs didn't make sense at all. In the end we worked the meaning out and I suggested them to pay more for better translators.


However, those ill-paid jobs are in the majority - at least in the German section. I suppose this is caused by farmers and agencies who try to find a cheap idiot to do the work they are not able to do themselves.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 37

@Joachim M wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

1. Freelancers can do it if they make their minds to bid higher does not matter you get it or not. 

 

Example: You can see my profile and I never compromise lower rate. I have missed 100's of jobs but I have commitments within myself and I act upon it. I charge $ 5 per product description even if it is less than 100 words. I charge $ 5 per mate description even if it is less than 160 characters. 

 

2. If each freelancer react with the same way, automatically we can discourage clients that want lower rates. 

 

Am I right?

 

Best Regards

 

Abdulrazaq


Dear Abdul,

 

This makes you part of the problem. 


How is Abdul "part of the problem" because he sticks to a minimum pay rate?
 


 Tiffany, because with $5 he is low-balling too. Frankly, I personally don't care, I simply don't bid on such low priced jobs and always hope that the client gets what he paid for. In translations most clients often never even realise it until they have a translation proofread or their customers complain e.g. about manuals. I've just experienced this with a client in China. Gave me a manual to translate from English into German but already the translation from Chinese into English was so bad, that some paragraphs didn't make sense at all. In the end we worked the meaning out and I suggested them to pay more for better translators.


You've never written product descriptions, have you? A product description of less than 100 words can be written in approximately 6 minutes--maybe faster, if you're in a groove. Certainly, no more than 10 minutes per description, and they tend to come in batches. So, at $5/description, you're looking at $30-50/hour. I wouldn't consider that low-balling. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
16 of 37

Clients who wish to pay a low rate may pay it to the freelancer who accepts that rate. If you wish a higher rate, then you just say no. Take jobs that meet your criteria and complement your profile and let others do the same. There will always be a low bidder.

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
17 of 37

"Upwork must set a minimum wage their "workers" are supposed to work for."

 

The freelancers here are not UW workers or employees. We're independent business owners. As such, it's our job to target the highest-paying clients and negotiate the best fees, not Upwork's.

 

Calls to instate a higher minimum fee are as  old as the sun.  However, even where the minimum fees were higher (e.g., on Elance a few years back), cheapskate buyers and freelancers always found ways to game the system.

hoogendoorn-mari
Active Member
Marinus H Member Since: Jan 18, 2014
18 of 37

I understand Peter that we are independent. Point I wanted to raise is this, if there are only low price jobs available and at the same time Upwork claims that higher ranked (those who bring them more money) will receive better jobs, what is the point of having a level ranking for freelancers.

 

I highlighted two examples to underline my point.

 

You can find slight better jobs, but I would say that the ratio is around 95% unacceptable rates and 5% better rates, which makes Upwork a site not even worthwhile looking for jobs.

 

So, if Upwork sieves out, or sets a standard for it's workforce (which we independent freelancers are) they loose quality, credibility and may end up, again, as the bottomrock price site they used to be called by many. Precisely the reason why many Elance freelancers where against the merger.   

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
19 of 37

There aren't only low payment jobs. To the extent there are many low payment jobs, then there are many low fee freelancers who can take those jobs and earn some money. If I want a better paying job, then I have to put forth the effort and demonstrate the skills to get it. Freelancing isn't just having a skill, it is having a skill and marketing it effectively.  

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
20 of 37

The ratio of really low priced to high priced jobs though is ridiculous. Just saying. There are also many jobs that want everything done for way less than its worth. I still get lots of work, but I'd like more as any freelancer would, and going through the spamming $1/$5 jobs gets fustrating. I agree with this thread that low prices are really flooding Upworks lately and that there really needs to be better minimums to eliminate the spam / non-serious jobs. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS