Did you mean: 

Low payment jobs

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
31 of 37

@Petra R wrote:

🙂 Real German words (all in the Duden)

Grund­stücks­ver­kehrs­ge­neh­mi­gungs­zu­stän­dig­keits­über­tra­gungs­ver­ord­nung

Rind­fleisch­eti­ket­tie­rungs­über­wa­chungs­auf­ga­ben­über­tra­gungs­ge­setz (edited: Apparently this word (a law) was eventually considered too long and changed to "Landesverordnung über die Zuständigkeiten für die Überwachung der Rind- und Kalbfleischetikettierung" )

Ver­kehrs­infra­struk­tur­fi­nan­zierungs­ge­sell­schaft

Ver­mö­gens­zu­ord­nungs­zu­stän­dig­keits­über­tra­gungs­ver­ord­nung

Disclaimer: don't try to pronounce those words at home! People who say those words are trained Germans, working under strictly controlled conditions. Attempts to read those words aloud can cause injuries or even death. The Deutsche Akademie für Sprache und Dichtung assumes no responsibility for any injury, death, disability whether permanent or temporary, any health conditions whether physical or psychological that could arise from the using of any German word from the Duden. Any non-Germans attempting to pronounce those words do this at their own risks.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
llutz
Ace Contributor
Leora L Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
32 of 37

I signed with Elance a couple of years ago and was emailed by several "clients" who said I was over priced. I didn't get any work and the quality of jobs was terrible. I just recently updated my information to migrate from the old Elance to Upwork. It's only been about 3 weeks and I have noticed a ton of improvements over Elance.

There are many more quality jobs than before. The algorithm systems, as well as the efforts made to boost exposure is so much more active - meaning I have movement and action happening. I have lots of views on my profile, several interviews, and 10 proposals that I would be happy to do if I am hired. I also noticed that when I lose a job that the person hired is really great, not the lowest denominator. So I feel so much better in this pool and am very curious what will re$ult. Compared to other job markets, the competition is low here - 10 - 23 applicants as opposed to over 100 applicants for jobs "in the real world."

It is pretty shocking that people offer criminal wages, and likewise workers are taking jobs for so low that it ionly perpetuates a vicious cycle. The whole thing really demands that workers stop offering themselves for such low value, and begin asking reasonable and competitive rates based upon experience. Likewise, clients need to offer dollars - not pennies - for work. (Use that "Rate Too Low" button)!!

lorenzkh
Lorenz K Member Since: May 6, 2016
33 of 37

I've started flagging such clients as inappropriate - clients who expect us to write 1000 words for 2-5 USD. Maybe flagging can be a way to protest against such criminals?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
34 of 37

@Lorenz K wrote:

I've started flagging such clients as inappropriate - clients who expect us to write 1000 words for 2-5 USD. Maybe flagging can be a way to protest against such criminals?

Flagging jobs that don't violate TOS just clogs up the process, meaning that it takes longer for Upwork to review and address jobs that are actually against the rules 

cheznoel
Cammie N Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
35 of 37

This company has a terrible history of accepting employers that want to pay RIDICULOUSLY low fees to their hired freelancers. It is a JOKE!

I just saw a job that a company wanted to pay 5.00 an hour for PROFESSIONAL VIDEO EDITING... REALLY? THis is outragous! This is for US jobs. I can't believe this, it is sickening!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
36 of 37

@Cammie N wrote:

This company has a terrible history of accepting employers that want to pay RIDICULOUSLY low fees to their hired freelancers. It is a JOKE!

This company doesn't "accept employers." Anyone who doesn't violate TOS may post a job here. And, there are no "employers" here--just individuals and businesses looking to enter into contracts with independent professionals who are not employees.

I just saw a job that a company wanted to pay 5.00 an hour for PROFESSIONAL VIDEO EDITING... REALLY? THis is outragous! This is for US jobs. I can't believe this, it is sickening!

Yeah, that's a bad rate. No reason to take that job. On the other hand, no reason to be "outraged." It doesn't have anything to do with you unless you choose to engage with it.

ETA: Cammie, though low-paying clients aren't violating TOS, you are. You should remove the link to your website from your profile asap or you will likely be suspended.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 37

re: "I've started flagging such clients as inappropriate - clients who expect us to write 1000 words for 2-5 USD."

Lorenz:

It is not acceptable for you to flag jobs which do not comport to your personal preferences, but which do NOT violate Upwork ToS.

You're only causing problems if you do that. This kind of thing should result in expulsion from the platform for any freelancer to does it.

There many jobs that I see which might not be right for me based on my personal preferences. But I can't flag them for that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS