🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » MEMOS
Page options
carloslobo28
Community Member

MEMOS

Hi. I had a hourly contact and worked 4 hours, client disputed the payment, harassing and threatening me, but that doesn't come quite to the point, client won the dispute, Upwork told me my hours don't have "MEMOS", so what are memos? how to make sure to be eligible for payment protection? My work includes a lot of thinking so I don't press too much keys, comes that to be bad for payment protection? Has Upwork taken any action against the harassing, threatening client. I've lost $80 with which of course my life would have been way better, but don't worry I've enough for now.

8 REPLIES 8
sjbercot
Community Member

I'm sorry that your client harrassed and threatened you. That's obviously never appropriate. You fill in memos when you track time, in the box below "Working on:" on your tracker for each client. It doesn't have to be much, just a few words about what you're doing. Clients will win disputes over hours without memos and without adequate activity (clicks, etc.) during live tracking, so it's good practice every time you work hourly.

To put a memo in how many minutes between each time exactly? Upwork did not tell me anything about my clicks activity, but my work really includes a lot of thinking, in minutes I don't click anything, are you telling that it would be more secure for me to take only fixed jobs, not hourly?

No.

Fixed-price jobs are not "more secure."

But you need to understand how the tools work. And you need to understand the rules for Upwork Payment Protection.

You need to understand when to use the time-tracker and when to use manually logged time.

If you don't understand these things, you need to read more about them in the Forum. Do a search. Or ask questions if there is something you don't understand.

NEVER use the time-tracker without recording memos properly.

I always use memos.

I always make sure I have adequate keyboard/mouse activity.

My time-tracker time always qualifies for Upwork Payment Protection.

If you don't understand how to qualify, then learn.

If your work does not generate sufficient keyboard/mouse activity, then you must not use the time-tracker. It might not record your time segments. In that case, you will need to use manual time or fixed-price contracts. You need to understand the disadvantages and advantages of each.

Carlos L wrote:

To put a memo in how many minutes between each time exactly? 

You only change the memo when you change what you are working on.

So if I work on a specific document, I'd enter "translating "name on document" before starting the tracker, and tat would be the memo for the entire time I work on that document. It literally takes seconds.

JoanneP

Hi Carlos, 

In addition to the helpful information shared with you in this thread, you might also want to read this help article and the Hourly Payment Protection

~ Joanne
Upwork

So what is the "adequate activity level" number, how many clicks? I think there are many jobs lets say an analyst for example that won't have many clicks, is advisable for them to take only fixed jobs?

hemilr026
Community Member

Upwork, this is plain garbage idea. When I am working, I want to spend my time thinking about whats best for my client. Not thinking about what I should be doing right now. Thank goodness my clients never check my work diary. They trust me to get the job done and I let them know if there is a delay

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hemil, 

I'm sorry to learn you feel this way. A memo is a note you create to describe what you are working on during a session. These are important to add so your client knows what you were working on and that you qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. Missing memos or having inadequately described memos doesn't qualify you for Upwork Hourly Protection. 

If you feel that this type of contract is not best suited for you and your projects, you may always suggest to your clients to set up fixed-price contracts instead of hourly contracts. You may read more about the difference between the two contracts here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members