🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » MS Office files
Page options
roberty1y
Community Member

MS Office files

I've been using the free online version (not buying it till I change computers). I'd like to know how to send back an edited Word document to a client here. If I first save it to my hard drive, it doesn't look the same any more, because I don't have Office. However, maybe it reverts to its previous form once it's received by someone who has the software.

9 REPLIES 9
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

I'm not quite sure what's happening there, but you should be able to send an edited file as long as it has the *.doc or *.docx extension. Any Office software should be able to open it along with the changes.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar, thanks for your reply. Mine has the .docx extension, so I assume it should be OK when I add it as an attachment to a message.

petra_r
Community Member

Robert Y wrote:

I've been using the free online version (not buying it till I change computers). I'd like to know how to send back an edited Word document to a client here. .

If you get Office 365 you can install it on all your devices and work on up to 5 devices at the same time. There is no need to wait.

This is the second time in a few days you wished you had Office, maybe just get it now.

Does the free version allow for tracked changes? Or did the client not want the editing with tracked changes?

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

I've been using the free online version (not buying it till I change computers). I'd like to know how to send back an edited Word document to a client here. .

If you get Office 365 you can install it on all yourl devices and work on up to 5 devices at the same time. There is no need to wait.

This is the sevond time in a few days you wished you had Office, maybe just get it now.

Does the free version allow for tracked changes? Or did the client not want the editing with tracked changes?

Petra R wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

If you get Office 365 you can install it on all yourl devices and work on up to 5 devices at the same time. There is no need to wait.

This is the sevond time in a few days you wished you had Office, maybe just get it now.

I know, I just don't think I have enough space on this computer for it, estimates of the space needed go up to 4Gb. I think it does track the changes, although the client didn't ask - or maybe tracking is what people want unless they say otherwise?

Robert Y wrote:

I think it does track the changes, although the client didn't ask - or maybe tracking is what people want unless they say otherwise?

Nothing tracks changes unless you set it to do so, and generally yes, clients expect tracked changes or how will they know what you changed? Even if some clients may not want tracked changes,  it is something you absolutely need to clarify up front.

Robert Y wrote:

I think it does track the changes, although the client didn't ask - or maybe tracking is what people want unless they say otherwise?

My advice is to always do tracked changes. Always. If the client doesn't want them, it takes a few seconds to produce a clean version as well.

Save the version with tracked changes

Save as a different name (I add "- clean" to the end)

Review->Comments->Delete->Delete all comments in document

Review->Tracking->Accept->Accept all changes and stop tracking

Save

For short documents, I provide both as a default. For longer ones, I only provide the tracked version unless they ask for a clean copy.

Petra R wrote:

Yes, it's very easy. I recently bought a new computer, and as soon as I signed into my Outlook account, Office 365 installed with one click. I'm running it on three devices now, without any problems. The time that you're spending trying to figure out workarounds could be spent doing billable work instead.

roberty1y
Community Member

Just bought it - wasn't so painful after all. No more hassle with PowerPoint or tracking.

6ab8c1b0
Community Member

Hello sir

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members