🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Made refund to client but its take charge fro...
Page options
logodesignplus
Community Member

Made refund to client but its take charge from my pending balance

Today MY client request refund and then I accept it..after that I noticed its take charge from my old pending balance..I'm so disappointed what should I do now..I gave him full refund but why its take charge from my old balance which was I earned from another client..it was a hourly job

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

Today MY client request refund and then I accept it

Why?

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

Today MY client request refund and then I accept it..after that I noticed its take charge from my old pending balance..

It always takes refunds from the available or soonest to be available balance.

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

what should I do now..

Nothing you can do, and just so you are aware, the full refund, if it led to a "nothing paid job", will hit your JSS.

so I wil not get my money back which was mine, right?

re: "so I wil not get my money back which was mine, right?"

That is correct.

If a client asks for a refund, and you agree to that refund, then you don't get that money back.

For example, if you worked on an hourly contract, and earned $100, and the client asked for a refund, and you issue a full refund, then it means that you earned $100 but gave all of that money back to the client. And there is no way for you to get that money back.

For future reference:

If you legitimately worked for a client using an hourly contract, then you should NOT give a refund to the client.

If a client asks you for a refund in this type of situation, the client is wrong.

Except in extremely rare situations, clients should NOT be asking for refunds.

The "refund" mechanism is meant for you, the freelancer, to use in order to make things right in very rare circumstances. The "refund" mechanism is NOT meant for clients to simply be able to click a button and get free money.

Overall, the "refund" mechanism is harmful to clients because it suggests to clients that there is a "reset" button. It makes some clients think that they do not need to manage their projects effectively. The most effective and successful clients on Upwork ignore the "refund" concept entirely and never use it. Instead, they FIRE underperforming freelancers and work only with the best freelancers on their team. That way they actually get their projects done.

I can understand I will not get that money which I made refund..but my question is why This refund deduct from my personal balance which I already have..for example: I had $320 pending before start work with him..after complete his job he told me he want refund because he was not happy So I gave him refund then I noticed I have pending $210 ..$110 is gone..total project was $137.50..Before I start work wthi the client my pending balance was $320.. but now $210..

I'm new here and its my first cancelletion that's why I'm not understanding what is going on.

re: "my question is why this refund was deducted from my personal balance which I already have..."

That is simply how the system works.

The timing is not what you expected. But the numbers are the SAME in the end.

What you did not understand is that refunds come from the TOTAL BALANCE AVAILABLE. And refunds are issued to clients immediately.

There is nothing you can do about it.

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

I can understand I will not get that money which I made refund..but my question is why This refund deduct from my personal balance which I already have..for example: I had $320 pending before start work with him..after complete his job he told me he want refund because he was not happy So I gave him refund then I noticed I have pending $210 ..$110 is gone..total project was $137.50..Before I start work wthi the client my pending balance was $320.. but now $210..

I'm new here and its my first cancelletion that's why I'm not understanding what is going on.

When you refund from an hourly, you give them money from your balance. The best thing to do is wait until the money moves to pending and then give them a refund. So make them wait until after Friday when the money is out of review. 

Make sure the charge went through on Monday's charge (you can tell by looking at the contract... if it shows that the credit card is no longer verified, the charge failed). Then, after it moves to pending, give them a refund.

HIs payment method is verified and also there are dollar in review..as end of question am I able to get my dollar which was deduct from my old balance which was I earned from another client.?

Hi Afzal, 

It looks like you already have an open ticket regarding your concern. If you need further help, feel free to follow up on the same ticket thread so that the team handling your case can assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Afzal Uz Zaman S wrote:

so I wil not get my money back which was mine, right?

Well, you will, sort of, when the Dollars from the hourly contract you refunded work their way through the system

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members