cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major glitch - no official announcement yet

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 21

Why hasn't Upwork owned up to effing up big time today? 

Why is there no official announcement yet?

And NO, admitting to "technical difficulties" on Facebook doesn't count.

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 21

Hi Ela,

We're gathering more information so we can prepare a comprehensive reply. In the meantime, as we've posted elsewhere, we've resolved the root cause of what was resulting in some users seeing another's profile picture upon login. We'll come back shortly, after we've gathered more information.

Community Guru
3 of 21

While I seem to have attracted way too much official attention in the past week - I am stoked to see Upwork's announcement regarding this recent mess.

Ace Contributor
Mark G Member Since: Jan 25, 2015
4 of 21

Hi Garnor,

I do hope we will have some sort of explanation into the various problems of late. I think the excuses are wearing thin. It would be great to know what Upwork is doing to address these issues - not just now but for the long-term. Since changing from oDesk to Upwork the site has been an absolute disaster. I think the freelancers who work so hard (and earn money for Upwork) deserve to know what the problem is, what's being done to fix it and what (if anything) will be different in the future. The cosmetic changes can wait - first it needs to be a bug-free site that we can rely on.

Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
5 of 21

@Garnor M wrote:

we've resolved the root cause of what was resulting in some users seeing another's profile picture upon login. 

Just out of curiosity. Everyone was talking about another profile, and you about the profile picture. Have you solved the right Issue?

Community Guru
6 of 21

Good catch - it was a profile including number of connects & proposals, job feed, categories etc. - not just the wrong picture. We all have screenshots.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
7 of 21

"some users seeing another's profile picture upon login"

That's not what appeared to be happening. They were being logged in to another user's profile. If you read the rather lively Facebook discussion you'll see people claiming they were able to access various parts of the profiles; at least one claims to have been able to edit the profile they found themselves in.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
8 of 21

Yep, I also had the option to log out  - while seeing the other person's user name in the drop down menu.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
9 of 21

"Yep, I also had the option to log out  - while seeing the other person's user name in the drop down menu."

Then this is a lot more serious than Upwork seem to appreciate. Why is the site still online? Isn't there a security audit being run to find out exactly what went wrong and what has been compromised?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
10 of 21

Mind you, this was first reported 3 hours ago - and they are still gathering information, haven't officially posted anything so far - which means, they don't want to upset people "for nothing". Amazing, right?

I changed my password 3 hours ago...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS