cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malicious or nuts?

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
1 of 8

Does anyone have any idea of the rationale behind the guy who keeps posting editing (+ a few translation) jobs at unrealistic amounts? Has anyone gone for one and found out what he wants, and why he (well, it always is) spends so much time creating them in the first place?

Spoiler
US, Canada and Germany only...
David P Member Since: Apr 23, 2015
2 of 8

Hi Ramon, I just applied for some translation job here, can you be more specific about the the malicious project you mean? Well, I am a new comer, and I am still not very sure about how things work here.

Community Guru
3 of 8

No, because I might be wrong (though I doubt it) and even if I'm right it will be edited by the moderators anyway. However, a few pointers:

1) Don't agree to work outside odesk

2) Keep all communication on odesk until you are 100% sure they're genuine

3) Don't trust anyone who wants to use Yahoo messenger to communicate

4) Don't start work without a contract

5) Don't start work until the money is funded

6) Don't agree to any changes in duties/work/payment schedule after contract has been given

7) If someone criticises your work and you feel it's unfair, then dispute it.

8) CAPCHA jobs will never pay money, and may get you suspended

9) Never DIGITIZE OLD BOOKS! (See above)

10) If someone has been a member for a while without adding a payment method beware. If someone has more than a couple of 1 star ratings, beware!

Good luck!

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

I think it's the scammer who goes by the name of Kevin. He sends a message stating the job is filled but he has another opening posting things on auction sites.

I also think he is just copying job postings off of Elance and posting them here so it doesn't really take much work.

Community Guru
5 of 8

There was a proofreading job for $1000 for 150 words yesterday, and someone went for it!

Call me paranoid, but I can't help thinking some of this deluge of fake jobs are being posted by people who have had their accounts deleted and are now trying to sabotage things Cat Frustrated

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
6 of 8

Ramon,

Most of those with multiple posts are bots. They aren't even a real person.

On your comment of those trying to sabotage things, perhaps someone wanted to make sure the connect system failed and figured if they spammed a bunch of jobs and could prove that the connects didn't work because of spam jobs it would be taken down? Who knows Ramon, spammers have no reasoning for what they do. I think they feel it is fun to cause issues for sights. Just like hackers.

Community Guru
Jeff R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
7 of 8

@Suzanne N wrote:

Ramon,

Most of those with multiple posts are bots. They aren't even a real person.

Really? There are bots on oDesk? How is that even allowed?

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 8

I am sure it is not allowed, My point was that the scam jobs that are posted and responded to are bots generally. It happens on forums as well. 

Most of the scam jobs if reported to oDesk they remove them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS