cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malware is Becoming a Big Issue

Nicole H Member Since: Oct 6, 2017
21 of 27

Technology grows every day.  There most definitely is a way for them to scan links in job descriptions if the right software is used.  They currently auto-highlight contact information (phone/email address) when someone is typing it into a message...so I don't think it is too far-fetched that they may be able to automatically detect links and create a way to require them to be scanned prior to finalizing the post.   

22 of 27

The files I have seen look like safe google drive files. This isn't a "common sense" issue...they are getting more and more sophisticated.  I remember what it was like when I was new and was so hopeful to get work after I started applying, and these links seem ok if you aren't familiar with what to look for as far as the type of Malware currently being spread on here.

Ace Contributor
Stephen L V Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
23 of 27

Again Heaven, the complete list of red flags is being ignored. Unverified Payment Method +  0 Jobs posted is not a danger signal in and of itself, but when combined with 60 freelancers needed for a one person job, sloppily written 2 to 3 sentence descriptions, matching criteria appearing in other job posts in the same field, it's an indication of danger. Unverified payment methods automatically mean that Upwork can't trace a fraudulent post to it's originator beyond just removing the job post after review. Of course new clients have 0 job post histories, they're new clients. Stop focusing on the element of unverfied payment method, it's the combination of factors that are a signal that something is amiss.

24 of 27

Both topics were part of the big picture of my post.  Not understanding why that one sentence is the focus for some folks posting.

25 of 27

Exactly!  I've been on here for years and this is definitely not something I seen before at this volume.  These links are links experienced freelancers would more than likely click on since they look like legit google drive files.

Norma Jean G Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
26 of 27

I just replied to the letter from the CEO about raising our membership rates.  I suggested just the things you wrote above.  I have flagged perhaps a dozen of these malware attempts in just the last couple of months.  They seem to be doing nothing about protecting us, just raising rates.  I call BS

Donald K Member Since: Apr 21, 2019
27 of 27
And to think: we'll be paying 50% more for membership for this "opportunity."
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS