🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Managing Hourly Limits with Multiple Contract...
Page options
aliharvey
Community Member

Managing Hourly Limits with Multiple Contracts

One of my clients has a 30 hour limit, but they never use that much. Average is 17 hours per week in 6 months of data. And usually, this time of year, the average is more like 5-10 if that. 

Now I have two new clients requesting work with a max of 10 and 20 hours per week, respectively. I'm concerned that I won't be able to accommodate them all - if they happen to all use their max hours at once, as unlikely as that is. 

But I need to do something because with practically zero hours from my first client last month, I am reallly struggling financially.

I've been a freelancer for quite a while, but usually I have just the one hourly client and the rest of my clients just do as-needed projects, so this is new territory for me. 

Any advice here?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I don't know of a successful FL who hasn't been willing to put in some 60-hour weeks, at least when getting started (and you are "getting started" up until you have reliable, somewhat predictable income that supports your needs). I would imagine it's unlikely all three clients will need you to max out their hourly limits in the same week but it certainly could happen and you need to be prepared. In your shoes, I would welcome all three and do my best to deliver above 100% for each one. I would not reserve 30 hours/week for a client who has never yet needed that much. I'd rather get caught having to work non-stop for a while than twiddle my thumbs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I don't know of a successful FL who hasn't been willing to put in some 60-hour weeks, at least when getting started (and you are "getting started" up until you have reliable, somewhat predictable income that supports your needs). I would imagine it's unlikely all three clients will need you to max out their hourly limits in the same week but it certainly could happen and you need to be prepared. In your shoes, I would welcome all three and do my best to deliver above 100% for each one. I would not reserve 30 hours/week for a client who has never yet needed that much. I'd rather get caught having to work non-stop for a while than twiddle my thumbs.

That makes sense. I was thinking the same, but I just needed to hear someone else confirm it. Thank you. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths