🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Manipulative Clients
Page options
cb7aa326
Community Member

Manipulative Clients

First of all, I am very thankful to Upwork that my kitchen run up is managed by this platform. I have had few experiences with some of my clients do not fulfilling their promises for the jobs. I had a client, she said you will be my service provider at least for three 3 years and I was happy that I got long term job but after three months she said, the company is closed and I can't pay to my staff; however I still see that she is posting jobs and there was never a complaint from her. Basically she changed her business plan priorties. 

I had another client who signed nDA agreement through Upwork for at least 1 year and after 3 months he said, he sold the business to someone else. But I still see his postings for new jobs. 

I think it is challenging to assume that if client has promised something to believe on it. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Atif A.,

I have found that a client who says something along the lines of "...this will be a long-term relationship with the right freelancer" will usually use this as a reason to ask for a lower pay rate on current work.

A famous old cartoon character was known for saying, "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today." 

Always assume a) the only work you are sure a cilent will assign to you is what they actually have assigned to you and b) they should pay you now for what you're doing for them now. Any volume discounts in your pricing for your services (a legitimate approach) only come after the volume of work actually assigned to you by the client warrants it.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Atif A wrote:

I had a client, she said you will be my service provider at least for three 3 years and I was happy that I got long term job but after three months she said, the company is closed

I had another client who signed nDA agreement through Upwork for at least 1 year and after 3 months he said, he sold the business to someone else. But I still see his postings for new jobs. 

Freelancing, by its very nature, is mostly short term and not like employment. Clients and freelancers can more on at any time and for any reason. That isn't "manipulative" - it's just how freelancing goes and is meant to go.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Atif: The clients you describe in your post have done nothing wrong.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Atif A.,

I have found that a client who says something along the lines of "...this will be a long-term relationship with the right freelancer" will usually use this as a reason to ask for a lower pay rate on current work.

A famous old cartoon character was known for saying, "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today." 

Always assume a) the only work you are sure a cilent will assign to you is what they actually have assigned to you and b) they should pay you now for what you're doing for them now. Any volume discounts in your pricing for your services (a legitimate approach) only come after the volume of work actually assigned to you by the client warrants it.

Good luck!

Welcome to the world of freelancing. 

There's many positives to freelancing, but the security of individual contracts is not one of them. Clients can, and do, drop out suddenly and without warning - even those you've worked with for years. 

Things change. Sometimes suddenly. It's nothing to do with manipulation. 

lysis10
Community Member

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny when clients pull those manipulative moves people talk about on here? I think it's funny and have to remember not to laugh on a voice call. If I'm hung over or not thinking I laugh and then I realize I just laughed at them lol

The stories on here crack me up.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members